As I continue on my journey to becoming more proficient at the use of hand planes and the like, I’ve had some serious headaches. One of the major headaches I’ve had is surface planing small parts. I’ve tried clamping and locking in the vise. I’ve tried bench dogs and other various means. I’ve not been able to consistently come up with a way to hold small parts. The following is an idea I gleaned from a woodworking video by Rob Cosman. It’s just a pi...
Upcoming Awards Event and Multipurposing Some Wood First of all if you’ve not been reading my series on the upcoming and ongoing ”LJ Woodworking Awards – Winter 2008” then you might want to click here and read what a lot of LJ’s have all-ready been reading about now and discussing since Debbie announced the ”Upcoming Awards Event” in the November eMag. Having said all that I thought I would get my series ongoing some more and post some more pict...
This part will be kind of like watching paint dry. So really not much to see just a lot of repetitive work. The seat assembly is made up of the leg assemblies and 13 slats. From front to back the slats are: flat30 degree on one side15 degree on two sides20 degrees on two sides8 – flat20 degree on one side An extra pair of hands at this stage is helpful to get the parts lined up. I don’t have those hands so I wrestle with the parts and just get them to stand up then work o...
Most people I know who are contemplating a home purchase, hire a licensed inspector to analyze the house in great detail and prepare a report for them so they can make an informed decision. I take an entirely different approach. If it’s not an old crack house, ready for condemnation, full of mold, falling down, in need of desperate repairs or a bull dozer, then I’m not interested in buying it anyway. I wouldn’t know what to do with a house that wasn’t sorely in need of wo...
The Save the Children paddle will add $325 to the LJ fundraiser. The buyer bid just 202.50 on eBay but he and I had talked previously and he agreed to not only meet a $300 dollor reserve which somehow got left off eBay but also to include the shipping charge that he would have paid since I’ll be delivering it personally (he’s local strangely enough). He lives north of Boston so it won’t be frequent but it we hope to hook up for a standup session together as well when I deli...
I used domino loose tenon joinery to form the face frame. This is the dry fit to check that all is square with the middle and bottome rails in the proper position for the drawer opening. Looks good. I’ll add solid edge bands to the shelves. Once their square, I’ll go back and measure the two vertical face frame pieces for the drawer dividers. I’ll glue and clamp it up tomorrow when construct the doors.
I’m no MMarzluf, but I know I can pretty this up a bit… I drop a scrap cherry block on the back, to act as a rear blade guard. I also like the idea of a nice plastic guard to protect me from spit up dust and chips. I have some spare lexan from my Norm Router Table project, so I grab that and it looks to be plenty. Trimmed the lexan to size. My cute little arch does make this a tiny bit problematic… I’ll just trace this and mortise it out...
Now here is something else I didn’t do last time. Properly squaring up the sled. I start by lining up my nice new fence, and dropping ONE screw only on the far side. Then I slice a kerf just high enough to pop through the ply, and line up the fence roughly with the square. (This part is NOT how it gets squared… read on!) Looks square, doesn’t it? HAH! I made a small T adjustment block, and grab about 1/16 inch worth of sliced up index card and pa...
Although I didn’t snapshot it, I glued up the (2) 4” sections of ply, then ripped them clean. Here they are on top of my nice new sled. I line them up fairly well, then screw them in to the sled with (4) 2.5” #10s. I want that sucker to hold! Now that we’ve got a strong front fence on there, I’ll be able to cut through the ply body without worrying about the pieces slipping out of alignment. (One of many big mistakes with my last sled!) Oh...
NOTE All of my photos have been migrated to a new provider, and the links in my posts are likely out of date. You can find the photos here. My old crosscut sled sucked. I made it before I acquired a lot of knowledge, but I’ve been dragging along with it for a while. I did some test cuts the other day, and realized just how out of shape it was, so I decided it was time for a new one. So here comes the Cross Cut Sled Journey! I decided I wanted a fence with a T groove on it, s...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1314 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- clieb91 - 143 entries
- Blake - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- littlecope - 135 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries