Between working a full-time job that consumes more than 40 hours a week and building my part-time business doing commission based work I managed to get my website up and running. I actually enlisted the expertise of a friend who does this as a side business. I was extremely pleased with his creativity and execution giving me exactly what I envisioned. Please check it out brianfullerdesigns
I got my No.7 in the mail on Thursday. They have been getting a bit higher in price on e-bay as of late. At least the nicer ones are going more than I care to spend and the rust seized ones are creeping up to about $30-45 at auction close. So I decided exactly what I wanted, a Stanley No.7 in user condition with a corrugated sole. I watched auctions for about a month got outbid on a couple, but stuck within my price limits on each so I don’t feel bad about being outbid. Finally one...
Last night I photocopied a few parts from the plan and glued them to some 1/8” and 3/16” stock using Elmer’s rubber cement. If you put this stuff on just one part to glue it just rolls off when you need. I tried spray adhesive but found it too messy.I’m making the counter weights for the wheels and the parts for the cow catcher. The picture shows the triangles glued to 1/8” stock. I had to peel them off and glue them to 3/16”. At the band saw I cut the pieces close to the line. Then us...
I was eager to start the day as it was dedicated to making sawdust in my garage to make some built in shelves and drawers for my wife’s storage closet. These are very long shelves so they are 3/4” birch with back support along the full length and radiata pine edging on the front to prevent sagging. I started ripping my first sheet of plywood to length and my plywood blade bound in the cut about half way through. I can’t back the piece up a to free the blade because the an...
The panels for these doors will be four boards wide. They were milled at the same time the styles were using the same radius jigs. the panels will end up 3/4 thick, the parts were milled a strong 1/32 over that thickness to allow for sanding. A tray was used once again to cut the angle on all the parts on the table saw. After the angle is cut on both both sides the parts are biscuted a to help in the gluing process. Make sure you keep them back far enough so they do not come out in the pro...
I have a suggestion from one of my senior’s in my classes, also a LJ (tooldads_apprentice), to post podcasts of safety lessons as we do them during class on LJ. This would allow students to review or makeup safety packets if they were absent during demos. I thought great idea and am going to take it a little further. I am going to enlist the aide of our video production class to help produce the videos. Look out Wood Whisperer!. Episodes will include, hopefully, 1-General Shop Sa...
I sanded the cove on the front wheel assembly first thing this morning. Front and rear wheel blocks. The wheels for the engine drive need holes drilled 9/16” from the center of the axle hole. From past experience I know it’s important that these holes are as accurate as possible. So I took a small piece of axle dowel and found center and put a wheel on it. From center I marked 9/16”. A tip: when you want to remove the dowel from the wheel, wrap the dowel with sand paper a...
Well the IWF show was as great as always. Had a lot of fun there, meet some cool people. Talked a lot of shop with many. Ran into the WOOD WISPERER and his better half, any body know that guy? Walked about thirty miles I think (felt like it anyway). Let’s see I picked up some shaper knives, a few insert router bits. Got another Dynabrade orbital sander. Ordered Five 8’ and twelve 5’s of the new bessy k body clamps (not availible till November). Ordered a Osillating Belt ...
In part three of this blog I milled out the pieces for the rails and got them glued up to width. Now after they have had plenty time in the clamps we’ll get started cleaning them up. get the glue all scrapped off and ready to sand. I make sanding blocks to the correct radius for the inside and outside of the rails and use 80 grit sticky back snad paper and stick it to the blocks. Below is picture of some finished rails with the sanding blocks that were used to clean them up. I use 80 gr...
Picture your shop… now picture it packed into a storage unit for 2 years… As I’ve mentioned, I’m finally to the point where I can move stuff in, but that means I have to clear out the construction debris which I’ve been making of late. I spent an hour or so this morning after a Dr’s appt. I had the morning off from work as well, so I went out and tidied up. Not something I had done yet, I was just letting the sawdust and cutoffs pile up… until no...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1321 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 381 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- clieb91 - 143 entries
- Blake - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- littlecope - 135 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- RaggedKerf - 130 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries