I had some good progress on the top today. it actually started a couple of days ago when I went ahead, cleaned up the buffer strip, and main top, and glued them up together, I also milled the end cap part (which is on top of the clamps in the photo): I also ground down one of the corner of the Lee-Valley Tailvise Nut so that I’ll be able to install the vise higher up and the nut will have less interference with the table top: I’m not a machinist, nor work with metal much (al...
I thought I would share what I am working on. As everyone knows my house forclosed and I ended up renting the house right next door to it. Yes, it’s very difficult to watch workers go in and out over there doing god knows what. Life goes on. Anyhow, I have an agreement to fix this place up if the rent stays down some. So one of the tasks I have is to rebuild the fence. This is the first section of fencing. I still have about 15 more sections and then a gate. The reason I am post...
Wanna know what solvents to use to remove vinyl graphics from your truck?Beer and turpentine.Apply beer liberally to the debadger, apply turpentine to the adhesive residue. Works great!Took me nearly five hours to clean everything off today. Smiled the whole time!
Well, after much searching and procrastinating and general “making do”, I realize I need a real workbench. Now, SWMBO and I are planning on building a new place on 30 acres in the next few years, at which time she will have a nice big stable for her hayburners, and I will get a real workshop. Not going to hold my breathe on that one though—it’s going to take a bit of time to figure out the details on that, so I know it will be more than 1-2 years before I have my o...
Now I get to the good part. I wish I had taken pictures right after I had first applied the chemicals because the patina continued to mellow in the sun, but you can’t really see the difference. As I said in the last blog, I really hated the initial finish. It looked like a biological mess. You get the idea. Anyway, I learned you can easily wipe the patina with a rag to either remove some spots or blend them with others. This time around I didn’t seal it in wax nor did I rins...
Change of plans jocks!!! Instead of creating the Thomas Jefferson lab top witting desk, I have decided to make something a little larger. I want to make a jewelry chest that will stand about 35in high. I still want to make the witting desk, but not for this certain competition. Today I went to a really nice lumber place called Hardwoods Inc.. I got a really nice piece of African Mahogany that is 9ft long and 14in wide. For the drawers I picked up some poplar and a higher grade ply wood. I can...
I was in the mountains this weekend and was driving down the highway just outside Estes Park (beautiful drive if you ever get to Colorado). I saw a shop with rustic furniture for sale outside. But what caught my eye were several HUGE planks of wood leaning against the building. I wasn’t sure if they were demo pieces or if he sold them separately. I pulled in to the Pine Cone Furniture woodshop and asked about the planks out front. He said the big ones were on sale for $75 and the lit...
We have been busy this week tying up loose ends. We still had a little backlog in the shop- a dining room table to refinish, 2 antique rockers, a couple of nightstands, and a few other pieces. We have not taken on any more work- no appointments, nothing, just work on these jobs and discuss the future. One thing that is dawning on me is that I will get my hobby back! The whole reason I went pro is because I love woodworking. Man, that is a quick way to kill your hobby. Instead of working on...
Just sitting here listening to Atlas Shrugged (“Money is the source of all good” and “Taggart/Reardon 2010” and “Who is John Galt?”) and enjoying another ‘Delta’ breeze summer evening in Orangevale (Sacramento). Sorry I haven’t updated this series in awhile. I’ve been cooped up in a small classroom for two weeks with twenty other souls, all of whom had hundreds of places they’d rather be, learning the most mind numbing materi...
Well after one long month of frustration with a height issue. I finally got this project to the finishing stage today. The bentwood lamination I bragged about the last time was a bit short in height once I finished cleaning up the glue up. After multiple goes at getting all three edges even and losing 1 1/2” in height. I had my dad come over and give me a hand this week and we finally got her done. Hot glue, a straight edged board, a 1/2” upcut spiral bit, and a bushing on the old...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- robscastle - 155 entries
- clieb91 - 155 entries
- littlecope - 147 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- StumpyNubs - 143 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 140 entries
- Eric - 139 entries