This photo shows one of the tricks to use when working with small pieces. If I have lots of pieces that have to be precisely placed together it is best to arrange them on the pattern as they are shaped and sanded and glue them together to form a larger unit. I start by taping clear plastic wrap over my tracing pattern and glue one piece over the corresponding section of the pattern. Apply white glue to the bottom edge of the next piece and place on the pattern. Do this until all the pieces of...
The first step I wanted to do was to lay it out. I took a scrap piece of cardboard and made a life side drawing of the proposed train bed. I wanted to see the true proportions so that if something looked wrong I could change it now instead of regretting it later. This is the more detail sides but will actually be the easiest to build. The hard part will be the front and the top, which will and some curves to it and will use some bending plywood. Here is the recorded video of the layo...
The Non-Electric Chair #14: Making the Chair (The back frame gets glued up and the chair comes together)
There are some jobs that must be done as you go along; they will be very difficult to do once the back frame is glued up.Unfortunately, I am one of those people who must see results and can’t wait indefinitely to see a frame going together. Apart from the fact that I think someone said “A decision deferred is a decision well made” I have two excuses for this less than grown up behaviour.a) Sanding every square millimetre can be pointless if it turns out that there is a final curve or detai...
Display Mirror - Rescued Wood #3: Final Installement - The "Challenges", Accident and finished Project
Now for the interesting part of the story I had to work through several problems, mostly caused by my inexperience, ignorance or optimism. The first was that I ordered the wrong size mirror. It looked fine in the drawings, but when I trimmed the arms to fit each other, I had to cut more off the mitred ends than planned for aesthetic reasons. The mirror supplier had already cut the mirror but not yet delivered, so I called then with the new dimensions. I had to pay extra for the new cuts an...
Alright, we’re close to the end! Finished the last of the glue-ups. I know, it looks like an ad for Bessy. Each of the four posts had the corbels attached: Next came the staining. This is the first project I’ve ever done where all parts were completed then stained completely unassembled. All of my other projects have had the majority of the piece assembled before staining. Here I went with Minwax Red Oak #215: I started with all the spindles. This took a couple of ho...
The next part was to cut the sides of the case to 12” high. I set my handy dandy incra miter gauge to 12” and sliced off the bottom. Before: After: Since this is mdf with a thin veneer, I separated the mdf piece with the original dado for the bottom panel from the veneer and glued it back to the main side. Then I took my chisels and gent saw and continued the dado the way it was originally. Oh, I also added some filler pieces where the old shelf was. ...
Over the past few days, my brother and I have worked more on the workbench portion of the project. We framed out the bottom shelf and framed out the workbench top. We used some scrap 2×4’s to do the framing and some scrap plywood for the surface. Eventually, the plywood work surface will be covered with oak. We are still debating the best way to weld the crank together but I want to make sure everything fits and is functional first. The next step to tackle is the tension wheel, hea...
Managed to squeeze out some time after work the last few nights to get the mortises for the short stretchers out of the way. I measured up my tenons, and trimmed them very square. My theory on M&T joinery is the only time you’re allowed to touch your tenons is BEFORE you even mark your mortises. So far, this rule has served me very well. Once they’re all square, I mic’d them out to the nearest large forstner bit I have. Then rough out the waste. The...
Hi Guys this is my first every blog so please bear with me we moved in to our new house two years ago now and since we moved we have been meaning to get rid off the eye sore of a pond in the back garden it measured 17 foot by 9 foot and we hated it so this winter i took the bulls by the horn and started to dismantle the wretched thing after struggling with a bolster chiesel and club hammer i managed to remove the first two levels of concrete blocks i realised that the guy who built the dam...
Second Piece of the Week for Wood Workers at Cal urban Lumber.com Fellow Lumber Jock Keith Lawson is this weeks showcase participant!
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 170 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 154 entries
- clieb91 - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 142 entries
- robscastle - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- littlecope - 138 entries
- RaggedKerf - 134 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries