I feel embarrassed to put some of my very practical projects, utilitarian things, into the projects category. Note that I have no projects, but have completed two woodworking projects for the shop and posted them…..here in a blog series. I am reserving the Projects category for my true woodworking hobby projects…............should I ever do them (-: Here is a table I made for my son when he was 13 years old, about 28 years ago. It was used by him until he left for college. Sinc...
Whoever is dealing with wood, and no matter which technique, very well knows that it is not easy work .. Although it offers endless pleasure.And each of the trades has phases, its long PROCESS, where they spent endless hours patiently hidden and trade secrets ..But, other than patience, something a little gift, here and there some special secret .. In our own courses reveal secrets. In this video presentation at least in the attempt DISPLAYED PHASE ONE MARQUETRY DESIGN PROCESS, one of the ...
Hi Well I had a big bunch of logs to get milled. To make a long story short the guy in my area that mills lumber doesn’t have time to do any this year and I have been looking for some one to do mine for about 3 months. So what happened is me and my dad brought his. So today we started to mill mine. I have never run a mill before so it was a big learning day. We broke 2 blades, one was my fault the blade tension was not high enough and it broke. We did mill 8 logs today 2 White Pine a...
During the week, my wife and I live in a studio apartment in Manhattan. On weekends we escape to our weekend house. We bought it about two-and-a-half years ago. My wife fell in love with the view. It is spectacular, one-of-a-kind. The house, however, was less than ideal from my perspective. The floors were a mess. The trim and doors were nasty. Everything needed painting. And the kitchen was crying out for updating. In the intervening years, we put in oak floors (that was a lot of work), re-s...
Ruminations, Philosophy, and Workshop Antics.......... #7: Using the improved table saw, and making zero clearance inserts
Got 4 blanks cut for the zero clearance inserts (ZCI). Using MDF. Drew out 4 blanks on a 48×40 sheet of left over MDF, cut the section out with table saw, then split that section in two length wise so I had two pieces with two rough blanks. Then split it into 4 with the RAS. I had cut some plywood earlier today, and some fiber board. Why the detail in the description? Since I put those machined pulleys on, and the twist link belt (along with my Forrest WWII thin kerf blade with stabil...
My weekend project was to build a small bookcase for my son. These are some of the lessons I learned while working on the project this weekend: 1) If you don’t check, 2 boards you previously worked on may or may not be the same length. If they were supposed to be the same length, you may have gotten interrupted before that task was finished. 2) Wood veneer has a grain – if you route across it the wrong way, it can tear out horribly. Make sure you know which direction the ...
Well, another year is coming to an end and it looks like everyone is starting their annual Christmas projects so I guess I better too :-)This will be my first year making a Christmas gift so we’ll see how it goes. While at the Arizona LJ’s picnic this weekend I picked up some curley maple to finish off my material list for a couple of Holiday Centerpieces. I downloaded the plans from plansnow.com but I’ve also seen this plan in magazines and other websites (many of you hav...
While gloating in earlier blogs about my recent lumber scores, I failed to equally look out for secondary lumber!! I know there may be some that are laughing uncontrollably, saying “HA, all that walnut/curly maple, beeswing aniegre/purpleheart, and he can’t make drawers???” I know, me too!! I went through my ENTIRE scrap pile, and I may be able to make one drawer until next payday. See, I bought my mom her Christmas present Friday, so poplar wasn’t in the budget! ...
There is one last step to do to the blades before I can do the glue up. A miter has to be cut on each end so the beaded molding can fit in. I use a scrap piece cut on a 45 angle ! ! The best way I found to do this is cut across the grain with a chisel using the mitered block as a guide to get something that looks like this. By cutting across the grain tear out is minimized. Rather than just hacking down with the chisel laying on the guide. ! ! I did use an ogee bit for the lowe...
Ruminations, Philosophy, and Workshop Antics.......... #6: Switch Done - all dressed up for the dance
I put the dust shield sides on yesterday and I used two tone Watco to finish the switch. This is a picture of the switch on the saw, completely done and in use. I think this is the most successful shop addition I have made. Performance is optimum, and the safety added by the switch alone makes it worthwhile.
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries
- robscastle - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- StumpyNubs - 149 entries
- littlecope - 148 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- Eric - 139 entries