So this will be the last project of “study desk unit for my son”. I have been thinking about this ever since I started this while project, but the other day somebody here is LJ introduced me the projects of Nakashima, so I decided to go with that taste. (thank you Todd and one.hit.wonder) So here is the plan, kind of easy one as always. From woodworking I am not sure about the extra support legs, I know it will be much cooler without them, but I have to make it strong, s...
I just got back for the Lie Nielsen Tool Event @ Jeff Miller’s Handcrafted Furniture Shop. Not ever being at one of these, I figured it would nothing more than product pushing extravaganza. Boy was I wrong! Christopher Schrawz, Jeff Miller and two a couple representatives of Lie Nielsen were for the most part running a seminar for free. Jeff Miller is quite a craftsman, he was smoothing curved surfaces with several of what he call the essentials obviously making the task look easy ...
Maybe you don’t know. Times are tough. Nobody has any money. ... well maybe expect for that Bernie Madoff guy. oh oh oh!! Get this… Bernie MADE OFF with all the money!!!! HAHAHAHAHAA!!!Get it?? Made off? Like he made… oh forget it. I know you get it. Its a funny one. You can use it if you want. ... just credit me.I want to HELP you with your money situation. Like with ‘THE SECRET OF THE CABINET DOORS!” ... sounds like an Indiana Jones movie! That actually sounds ...
Got back at the greenhouse yesterday evening. There were a couple of details on the structure that needed finishing. On the rear, down near the ground, between the two boxes I had to add a bracket so that the poly could attach. No biggie. I had to add a small “extension” to the box in front to cover up the leg of door frame. I needed this as the boxes were not the same width and in order to keep the symmetry one of the legs had to go outside of the planter box. I managed to find s...
Yesterday afternoon I finished off the front wall of the greenhouse and we installed the walls into the raised beds. The bottom 8” of the walls (that would go into the box and in the soil, we wrapped the wood in plastic so as to avoid rot. DW dug the trenches. The fit was a little tight, which I expected. I was expecting things to be a little out of square as I used ripped 2×4s, but surprisingly it was not too bad. Enjoy the pics.
Tonight I built the back wall for the greenhouse. When measuring for the top plate I had to subtract the measurements for the two outside walls. I didn’t realize this until I had it all put together…At least I never cut it to short in the beginning. Here I am holding up the new back wall with the two side walls in the background. Oh…I still have to install the braces. FYI I am using screws for all of the construction. I hate nails.
thought i’d draw attention to this recent toolmonger post featuring a shopsmith being multi-tasked on an old cover of life. hilarious! http://toolmonger.com/2009/05/01/its-just-cool-life-in-the-future/#comment-911841
Today I applied the finish coats of lacquer to all of the pieces. After a couple of hours of drying time I put all of the hardware pieces on, installed the legs as well as the center fake legs/ pull handles. I have come to the conclusion that I need a lot of help with using a spray gun. I either left out a step or do not have the settings right but even though I got a pretty nice finish it is not a really really nice finish that I have achieved with my hand applied finishes in the past....
When I was a kid I had a paper route and I saved up all my money and bought a little tiny black and white T.V. I would love to stay up late and watch old cliff hanger movies; it was always exciting waiting for the next installment to see what would happen in the story line. I thought I would try a cliff hanger of sorts for my blog, partly because I hope to make it interesting and partly because I have a regular job and have to fit the sawing in when I can. So I will start the saga now with...
Wednesday evening, I noticed several Boxelder trees next to our church parking lot had been cut down. The yard just happens to belong to a fellow church member, so I gave him a call to see what his plans were for the wood. I know some people look on Boxelder as a “weed” tree, but I like to experiment, and I’ve had some success in drying rounds cut from smaller Boxelder trees. It turns out the trees were just going to be hauled away, and he said I was welcome to as much wood...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1208 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 202 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- stefang - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- Blake - 137 entries
- littlecope - 132 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 128 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries
- Dick, & Barb Cain - 125 entries