As some of you know, I got my sawmill running,http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19484.Now I need to sell a little bit of the red cedar I have sawed so far. Mostly 4/4 and a little 8/4. This was sawed from logs that have been cut for a few years so it’s pretty much dry now.The problem is I have no idea what red cedar sells for. I can either sell it rough sawn or I can planed it down.If anyone knows what red cedar sells for I would appreciate it if you let me know. I plan of putting some pe...
I felt a great deal of relief last night when I printed out the final copy of my new pattern packets. it was almost 10:30 pm, and it was a good feeling when I laid my head on the pillow knowing that I was just about finished. I am still awaiting on the final proof reading, but for the most part the thinking part and organizing my thoughts is done and I feel a great sense of accomplishment. I am not sure why these patterns seemed a bit different than usual. Perhaps because I knew that th...
It appears that our beloved President Santos has given us duff information, a couple of months ago, we were warned to expect El Niño, nine months of dry arrid weather, the last week has seen the return of the rainy season, and that is not just the odd shower, so I think our second winter of the year has arrived, which is not what I need at the moment. Unless the weather breaks and we have a decent spell, I am going to have to put the kiosko roof replacement on hold, I haven’t got suf...
Today I completed the assembly of the trays, added some extra storage sections and The Curved Front Box is structurally finished. Remaining to do is: The selection fitment of the hinges locks and stays.The repair of the veneer chip out.Determining of external and internal finishes, and The installation of the veneer edge trim. So this is the end of the construction Blog and the next time you see the box it will be posted as a completed project. Its highly likely that will happen in e...
Today, taking advantage of the 50° temperatures outside after another cold snap (yes, it snowed two days ago) I used my hand planes to knock down the slight lip on the maple support of the shortened desktop and the pine trim piece I glued up last time. It only took a few minutes – it took me longer to remember how to stand and hold the thing than it did to start the shavings flying. It’s been entirely too long since I was in the shop. Nevertheless, I quickly had a nice leve...
OK so I start a lot of projects but never finish! It just seems to me it takes a lot of thinking and pondering before I come up with what I want to do so I try stuff out micro scale before I take on the whole she-bang. This is my first stile and frame door. I did it on the table saw, but that was before I finished the tuneup so I’m still working on runout and square etc, but I did get a Freud blade 50 tooth general purpose and cleaned off most of the rust. I’m looking to ref...
Completed tiles waiting for the frame … acid bronze, iron oxide patina finish
Well last Sunday we received around 4” of rain in a 24 hour period half of which came overnight. I happened to want to get something out of my shop on Monday morning and opened the basement only to be hit with the smell of “wet basement”. I quickly looked around and found some puddles and seepage around the whole basement but not a lof standing water. After coming home from work early I was able to better assess the damage, it seems my sump pump switch failed and the narrow ...
I had an epiphany today while looking at this carving and realizing this will take me just as long as the larger Green men despite being less than half the size. Don’t laugh, but it took me 15 months to figure out I am treating carving like tattooing. An intricate drawing on a flat surface (or surfaces) then working away at it until it looks like the picture in my head, it works, but it is inefficient because I spend so much time carving away waste wood, re-drawing the design when I car...
The nice thing about using tops made out of baltic birth plywood with veneered tops is that they can just be glued directly to the bases as wood movement isn’t an issue. If the tops were solid wood the top would need to be attached using some mechanism that allowed for wood movement such as floating buttons or figure 8 thingy’s. For me it was a matter of a few simple steps. The first was to take a block plan to the bases and even up all the sides. During glue-up it was inevitab...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1622 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- robscastle - 172 entries
- StumpyNubs - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 150 entries
- littlecope - 150 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- Dave Rutan - 141 entries