I just looked through the latest price list from one of our local timber merchants. The most expensive wood listed is African Blackwood (dalbergia melanoxylon). It is also known as Mozambique ebony or Congo wood. It is listed at a price of ZAR440 000 per cubic meter. ZAR is South African Rand. We use the metric system, same as Europe, so let me Americanize….One meter = 39.37”. A cubic metre equals 39.37” x 39.37” x 39.37” = 61023.38 cubic inches…. A board foot is 144 cubic inches…. T...
DISCLAIMER: Before I start this blog, I want to make sure everyone knows that I am NOT a professional sofa/furniture builder. I just took on this project because 1) I needed a sofa and 2) because I thought it’d be really fun and satisfying if I built my own sofa. This is all my own design, and besides looking at a few pics on the internet, this is all my OWN method of doing it. That being said – for any of you professional sofa builders out there, I am sorry if I’m not d...
When I started in woodworking, I frequently read that the Dovetail Joint was the mark of a skilled woodworker; that it was a difficult joint to make and doing so announced to ‘those in the know” that the maker was a real craftsman (or is that craftsperson?). Then I discovered that you could make Dovetail Joints on jigs; not just make them, but make them perfectly. So I purchased my first Dovetail Jig shown here. Now whilst this helped me make perfect dovetail joint every time, ...
1 • 1 • 2 • 3 • 5 • 8 • 13 • 21 • 34 – The Fibonacci Sequence I have been fascinated with The Fibonacci Sequence and The Golden Rectangle for some time. I finally got around to building a Fibonacci Gauge that was featured in WOOD Magazine. The guage maintains a consatnt proportion of 1:1.618 between the points. It is used to help determine visually appealing proportional dimensions. I am looking forward to using the guage in future projects. Follow the text below for so...
I had finished my wife’s jewelry box with the exception of putting in the felt lining. I’ve never done this before and I wasn’t looking forward to it, but now it’s done and since I’m pleased with the result, I thought it might be helpful to others in my situation to relate my experience and hopefully help someone out. There are folks out there who I’m sure are a lot better at this than me, but I haven’t seen any posts on this, so here goes. Below is a...
This is a second generation Steps cutting board made out of walnut, maple, and cherry. The first Steps board I made used a basic square with edge of maple and cherry to make it a block and a notch to do the stepping. I wanted to try to make a stepping board using the hex Tumbling Block design, and this is what I came up with. In order to make the hex do the stepping, I needed to notch all three sides, as can be seen in the Sketchup drawing. The cool thing here is that it steps in two di...
So I’m back in class now and the wedding approach-ith. T-minus 4 months (eeeep!) So the last time i blogged i have glued up the two 45 degree boards. Thursday the chop saw was in action and i was actually able to get 10 pieces out of the two boards. turns out you only need 8 of these pieces to make a circle (you know, math and all). So here’s the log as it right now. Didn’t have time to glue because i was working on several other projects, but I feel good about thi...
I have always cut my green logs either on the ground or on top of other logs. Well a few weeks ago I was cutting a log and it decided it wanted to dance a little bit. Now I don’t care if a log dances or not I just don’t want it to move while I have a moving 20” chainsaw in it. This got me thinking there has to be a way to hold the work safely for cutting. So I took to the internet looking for sawhorses for chainsaws. I did find a few commercial units but they were all listed in E...
Here is a quick and fun Project, A Brain Teaser.. This is the first video of the new Weekly videos I will be posting Every Wednesday!!
So far I’m done with the “8-way hand tied springs” as you can see from the pics below. I think I tied over 300 knots for the entire thing. It must have taken me like 5 hours just for the springs (if not more). My fingers are killing me – jute twine is not very forgiving. Anyways I tested it out and it is VERY sturdy. It seems to be working exactly like its supposed to. I then constructed the back rest. This was the part that I was least confident about. Not sur...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1656 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 227 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- robscastle - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- StumpyNubs - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- Dave Rutan - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 156 entries
- littlecope - 152 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries