Today I’m finishing the cabin. A piece of 1/8” x 1” square and a piece of 1/8” x 1 1/4” square sandwiched together form the roof vent. The plaques for the sides were done the same way as the triangles for the cowcatcher. Then I took a piece of 1/8” maple and ripped a 1/16” piece using my thin strip jig. I then glued it all on the cabin. I now need two 1 1/4” long pieces of 1” dowel. I cut the dowel and wasn’t happy with the colour. It was cheap dowel from the lumber yard. I checked aga...
Thanks for the information from all! I went and got some Naval Jelly from Lowes (you should have seen the look on the Customer Service lady’s face when I asked for that!) I did three different applications of Naval Jelly, making sure to rinse throughly after each one. Once that was done, I took a fine steel wool and a little bit of oil to the top making sure to work it in small circles to get into the little groves. When I felt good about it, I wiped the whole thing down with some i...
From my blog: Sometimes a project calls for drastic action. This is exactly what I had to do, to allow me to cut integral tenons on very long rails for a project for a client. I normally work with the Leigh FMT on the workbench. But now I am using the workbench to make a stand that will allow me to set the FMT on this new stand on the bench: A kind of self-raising, tower crane. I start the process by milling stock for the legs, and all rails. After a couple of test cuts, I am ready to c...
A few weeks ago I had my blog about the walnut bouroughs, I was collecting from the walnut farmers around here. I had been in physical therapy for a previous injury, until Friday a couple days ago. Friday was my last visit, Saturday, going to dinner with my son…a DRUNK went across a few lanes to hit us head on. Cops said he had no insurance info, in his car…....glad I have uninsured motorist on my insurance. Looks like I’m going back to therapy…......son’s only...
This is the template that I have designed for my cousin’s wife’s game. I used a peg board cut to the dimensions that she specified. (don’t want to give up the secrets just yet). It took me a few days to get the layout right. I got the approval to go ahead and start making today. ithttp://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/ricksrustics/GameTemplate.jpg
The edge-band/rim glue-up dried well, but it was about an hour of work to chisel, scrape, and sand away the glue squeeze out, especially where I couldn’t get to it under the strap clamp while it was drying. I cut the rim/edging myself from the same maple to a 3/16” thick strip, though finish sanding has brought it down a bit. I’m leaving it a little rough for a more matte/utility finish, though I see areas that need some finish cleanup, and I want to ‘break the edge...
Thinking about building myself a custom cabinet for my router table. Wanted to ask the preferred method.I have seen tung & groove approach and also pocket hole joinery system. Seems pretty strong. Let me first tell you my table that I plan on building will be 20” X 43”, it will be made a cabinet grade plywood. Any suggestions or pictures would be great…......... Thanks everyone!
Hello Lumberjocks! My name is KC (said Casey, but short for Kansas City), and I’m super stoked to have finally signed up for site privileges. I’ve perused this site for some time now, and have recently begun to view Lumberjocks in tandem with my other forum that I’m a member of. I figure it’s only natural to be a member of both! I’m a small business owner of a custom carpentry company in the Tidewater area of Virginia, but as of late the economy finds me doing more handyman type...
A couple of days ago, I got an email saying “PurpLev posted a new forum topic: Laminated Maple Tops for Free in MA!-10 Bowling Alleys being taken out”. here's the original blog post Of course, my interest was piqued… I saw that PurpLev was going to have to pass, as he had no way to get a slab of that magnitude into his car, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to either… So, I figured I’d see if we could help each other out. I got in touch with PurpLev, com...
Like I said in the last blog, I don’t usually make prototypes. But since there will be so many, I wanted to work out as many unforeseen details as I could. I did finish up the first one of the three styles. This is the largest group with 10 beds. After building this first one, I only found a couple thing I wanted to change. First I inset the drawers under the platform about 2” on each side. After getting it set up, I feel it would look better with only a ¾” inset of the drawers. Thi...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 200 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 184 entries
- HappyHowie - 173 entries
- clieb91 - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries