I use my table saw sled to square up the lid and cut it to size Then it’s on to the jointer where I size the width of the lids. I like to make mine about 1/16 smaller at this point. Final sanding should bring it down the rest of the way. I try to end up with about 1/16 gap all the way around.I have ripped scrap pine that just sit in the box and holds the lid in place. This will be need when I go to drill for lid pins. It also lets me see where the lid will sit. This time I felt...
My wife wanted a Bar cabinet similar to one in her Pottery Barn Catalog. She typically finds something she wants and we “fix” the design. I have to admit, she is better at the implementation of a design than I am. This one was pretty close to what she wanted though, or so we thought. Here is the original Picture as seen in the catalog. So the first thing I did was take inventory on my wood supply. After showing some samples of what wood I had avai...
So the Bosch table and the Craftsman router have been the latest additions to the shop and with them, I’ve tried a variation of a technique I use to make variable spaced finger joints. I’ve made a few small boxes and finished an series of 4 lidless boxes to hold silverware and utensils in the kitchen silverware drawer. To create these boxes with dividers, I used a Dremel tool in their plunge router base…..it is not designed for that task. That brings me to the latest ad...
Check out this massive pice of cast iron posted for sale in KIJIJI for $650. From the add “Maybe 1950’s??? Made by Preston Woodworking Machinery. Self feeding for ripping dimensional lumber. Needs electrical motor work, sold as is, where is. We have a forklift to load if needed.” http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Preston-Rip-Saw-W0QQAdIdZ326563927
I posted a couple projects and wanted a place to compile both the building pictures. Both the desk and the Murphy bed were a project to the same customer. It was a challenging project because of its size. I finishing phase had to be done in two sets of two days. If not pieces would be everywhere. The bed had it’s own challenges. It was the first time to put a desk in a mission style. The customer did come up with a design that would work, but I needed to figure out all the...
The project has grown from one simple table that theoretically could be assembled with just a handsaw, hammer, and nails into a complete dinning room set – table, buffet, chairs, and oh, yes, the china cabinet is now being sketched. Seems like I need some wood. So I drove across town to eutree. They are a small company that processes and sells “non-forested lumber”. Most of their business is selling wide planked flooring, but they sell a good bit of wood to wood-workers. ...
https://sites.google.com/site/samswoodturning/homeAlthough, I know you have seen my projects on this site, I would like to let you know that few days ago I launched my own website of Sam’s Woodturning. So far is so good. Thanks for Google’s Site that provides this opportunety for us free of charge. Surely, I am going to add more pictures by the time I learn more how to use it. All you have to do is click on the above address and you will be there.Enjoy it.
Well, I worked on painting my hats a bit yesterday, but mostly we were getting ready for the delivery of the two bedroom dressers. You all know how that goes. Unpacking and getting rid of the old set and then doing some major corner cleaning and preparing for the new arrival. The set arrived about three pm and was brought in without incident. Good planning paid off because everything fit nicely and all went quite smoothly. We let the set warm up and inspected it thoroughly and it was i...
It has been close to 5 months since my last post, and thats not because I have been lazy. Its been 5 months because I have not touched this project in almost 5 months. But I am so happy to finally be back working on it. The last 5 months have brought about job changes, family crisis’, multiple commissions and a ton of everything else to take away my time to work on my personal project. I had left off with the carcass dry assembled, and I had finished making the drawer blades out o...
4/9/12 Sad news in this region .. the Cedar Creek Sawmill had a fire and with the high winds we had today they lost all their buildings and lumber. This is the sawmill that I have used in the past and was going to approach for some donations for the big event in September. I can’t imagine how the owner is feeling.
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1209 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- stefang - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- Blake - 137 entries
- littlecope - 132 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 129 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries
- Dick, & Barb Cain - 125 entries