Not going to clench cut nails for hinge install because my cut nails are truly vintage and will break rather than bend. Because of the thickness of the lid skirt, two shorter screws are needed at the base of the three-hole hinge, with one long wood screw good for the top in that it goes through the skirt and into the panel of the lid. Chose the hardware from the parts drawer, and moved out. Clamped the hinge tight, tapped starter holes and drove the screws home. The next pic...
As I mentioned before, building two prototypes helped me work out the joinery details on this project. I chose dovetails for the end support brackets. The rear bottom edge of the shelf rests on a 1” x 4” as detailed in End-bracket rail joinery detail above. To secure the rail, I used half lap joints into the backs of the end support brackets. My SB #71 router plane served well to flatten the bottom of each surface to a consistent depth. I also cut a rabbet at the...
I am helping my 8th grade son build a wind turbine for his Science Fair Project. He is testing the impacts of different blade designs on energy production efficiency. As part of the project, we have to build a hub to attach the blades to the generator unit. So I thought about different ways to cut a circle – not sure yet how big we need, but probably a half foot to foot in diameter will be needed. The options were – router, drill press (most likely not enough capacity), tabl...
Just finished applying 3 coats of rub on poly to all the animals! once they are dry I’ll get a final pic of the animals with the Ark and post that in projects! Till then, here are two pics of the animals. Woods used are padauk, black walnut, yellowheart, red cedar, ash, aspen, basswood, wenge, and beechnut.
Today was one of those mornings that I couldn’t wait to get going. I got up a little earlier than usual, and went back to bed, thinking that I would get ‘one more sleep.’ But lying there and thinking about what I was going to do today was too much for me and I just had to get up and get started. I had a good day yesterday, and got lots of odds and ends done in addition to getting my little sleds finished up. Once again, I used the photo box that Keith made and had some re...
And so we begin another year. With all this talk of resolutions and promises that people make to themselves, it got me to wondering. Why is New Year’s Day such a special day to invoke all of these changes? Is it because somehow there is closure in tearing off that last page of the calendar? And that looking at each new page represents a fresh start and new beginning? Or is it just a good time for reflection on the past 365 days and think of how we would have perhaps done things ...
I started work this weekend on a newfangled workbench. Thanks to those who have posted their previous projects (Nedb,Jeff, Ben and others) – they were all a big help in trying to piece together the bench from the kinda vague fww article. All the information in the world couldn’t stop me from making some mistakes along the way though… (It’s going to be a little shorter than planned) I guess that is to be expected, as this is one of my first solo projects. Once I ...
The following table summarizes the project costs in different categories in U.S. Dollars (full-resolution image). I didn’t include sales taxes, shipping costs, or cost of the screws and other supplies. The cost of the basic bench is not too bad. Mobility (lateral, not just upward) has its costs. The Veritas products are definitely splurges. (But I had to have something to put on my Christmas list…)
Well friends, it has been one cold temperature spell the last few weeks here in my shop as you may have realized from past blogs. I finally got a chance to tend back to my main project, something new to me as I have never created a seat of any kind before. I have found the process a lot to learn regarding proper pitch/splay when boring in the legs. It is really nothing all that complicated all the while nothing to get careless with either. Soon the time approached for me to address my i...
So I’ve decided to build my workbench and have settled on this for a design from Fine Woodworking: It’s a nice size for my work area, and will definitely be a skill builder. I can make the bench with or without the drawers, but I’d like to give them a try as well. The frame is mortise and tenon and the drawers are made with box joints, neither of which I’ve ever tried. Yesterday I fired up the jointer and planer and dressed the lumber for the frame. I had b...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1846 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 225 entries
- bandit571 - 223 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 200 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- HappyHowie - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 184 entries
- clieb91 - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries