I have to say, the thought of trying to flatten 16(ish) boards entirely by hand (for the bench top) is a bit daunting. But I lined up the six I have done a cursory planing on, and they look like they mostly line up. Of course, I think they all have a slight bow, but at least they’re all bowing to the same extent. It’ll be an artistic bench with the “bent” look. ;^) But I do have a couple questions for you all, and I know that at least a few of you won’t disapp...
Okay, I had some difficulties so here is the video, it should work now. It was too long and therefore made youtube not accept it so here it is. Sorry for that. Also it kind of jumps around so it may be hard to understand what I doing but I was strained for time and had to cut out alot of stuff. Thank you and enjoy.
My One Year…Thanks LJ’s!!! Well…this morning when I logged on I thought it said 364 days which would mean I had a whole day to go and ponder my past year of projects…then after a full day of work in the yard I came in to check the new projects and it suddenly said that I was on day 365…so if you are really BORED…read on…but since I haven’t written many blogs…well I got a little wordy… First I want to say thanks to all of you in the LJ’s community…one year ago I was a new wood worker and...
Like many of you, I’ve looked at the Trend and Triton powered air masks. And like many of you, I decided to make do without one because they are fairly pricey. Well, today in my travels I found a link from a steampunk site (yes, my old hp laptop is going to become wood-clad and steam driven very soon) for a DIY powered mask. This is another Jake Von Slatt project. He used a car air filter, though I think I am going to use a cabin air filter since almost all of them are HEPA rated ...
I think many of you will enjoy this short video, too: Making the Half-blind dovetails in the D4R jig . Please note this is not my own video production – I obtained permission from Leigh to post the series at my blog. From my blog entry: This episode shows the detailed instructions to cut half-blind dovetails on the Leigh D4R jig.On half-blind dovetail joints, only one side shows. The D4R has specific scales to create these in three steps: 1. Space the fingers to suit your taste...
I had a small accident in the workshop today. Flying wood – Skin peeled back on the fleshy part of lower middle finger. The Dr just taped it down. Bruising on the inner right elbow and bicep. A red mark on the mid tummy. It looks to me that the piece of wood hit me in the tummy and then passed between my body and my arm. The finger could have been the first contact point. I was cutting a 2” strip of wood off a 2’ long plank and I pushed the wood past the blade. I am gu...
Finished up the Torsion box early this afternoon, after the glue dried I laid out the mounting holes for the RAS Base and put in the threaded inserts (not allot of fun in MDF). I temporarily mounted the RAS base to the Torsion box and placed the assembly in the cabinet and the I place it in its home to get a look at if and how everything will go together. I am very pleased with how things are looking at this time. The cabinet is square, the Torsion box is square, and everything is fitting lik...
Since my last post on the treadle lathe, I was able to get a few things accomplished; some with outstanding success, some with not-so-outstanding… um… In the last couple of weeks I haven’t really put much time in on this project, but I was able to get the tail stock cut and pared to fit snugly between the ways. I wanted a very snug fit, because I don’t want the tail stock to develop any bias in terms of turning longitudinally to the lathe. I was able to achieve a ...
I originally wanted raised panel arches for over the windows in the kitchen similar to some I had seen at Menards. That was three years ago. I drew them up full scale and gave them to the cabinetmaker who did our kitchen. He never got to them so I decided I would make them. I had done all the trim work in the kitchen, fluted some pieces, and added corner blocks with rosettes to trim between cabinets in the dining room. After thinking on the arch design for a period of time, I decided t...
I have been finally able to get back into the shop this weekend. I have been working on some votive candle holders for my parents. I am making 1 out of purpleheart and red oak, the other one I am not sure of the species. I think it is walnut. I have noticed that I have found new use for my scraps. (candle holders). I have the purpleheart one just about done. I need to put a few coats of poly on it and sign it. Each one will hold 3 candles. I also have a few projects to build for my wife for ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 175 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 160 entries
- littlecope - 152 entries
- bandit571 - 152 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- Blake - 144 entries