I am ever so close to staining. All of the gluing and sanding is done as of now. I’m going to give everything a once over to see if there are any more spots that needed sanding. Otherwise, I’m ready to start staining. I am going to stain the top before attaching it. Here is the post all glued up: This is a close up of the arms. The groove you see was routed in. The buttons I made previously will help connect the top. This is how it looks without the top on: And h...
If anybody has been following my workshop updates, you’ll be familiar with the fact that I barely even have a “workshop” right now; it’s more like a tornado dropped tools, parts of a forest, and piles of sawdust and woodchips in my basement. I can only imagine that this is a freak occurrence, and it just so happened to pick my exact latitude and longitude. Maybe I should contact NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) in Boulder, CO since they’re just a s...
ARRRGGG! Well I have come to the conclusion with the help of advice from the proprietors of the contest (The Sawdust Chronicles Build Challenge 2010) that my design requires a laminated top. I knew that movement would be a problem but I hoped there was a trick I was unfamiliar with. There is no trick. If I want a “framed” top on my little table I either leave room for movement and accept that or I laminate. And let the sucking begin. Uh… that sounded odd. Anyway. Fir...
I found this Delta Jointer at a garage sale for $50.00 complete with rust. I only had a serial no. 2-561 on it, no Model number, but it resembled the model 37-307 (old style) 6” jointerwithout the stand. The plywood stand was in sad shape and the motor was enclosed by the plywood and wasso full of sawdust that no more would fit in. I replaced the electric motor and cutter head bearings and builtthis dust chute and steel base, cutting the steel with a special steel cutting skil...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #142: We're Up and Running!! (Well - sort of!)
Well, I did it! Last night sometime after supper, I got brave and hit the ‘publish’ button on my new site. After looking at it all week long, it seemed that it was time to really check things out. I still had to finish those few pattern packets, but I needed to try some things out like making sure the processor and ordering process worked and I didn’t want to wait because the general phone customer support isn’t available on weekends (except if you choose to purchas...
Just a few pics of the teaser box… shown in the “Sign With A Story” post.. This is made from silky oak for the posts and rails.. with Queensland Red Cedar panels… Roughly based on a Neil Scobie design... The glue up…Just out of the clamps with the top resting on the box… Bring out the colour and grain with some mineral turpentine…. Should I include another teaser… OK Camphor Laurel and Rosewood… chess board… d...
So I was super confident that I’d finish the stands this weekend(minus final sanding and finish). Well now I’m not so sure :( I had fitted the drawers. They have a little bit more gap around the sides than I’d like but aren’t anything to be concerned over. So anyways, things with the tops started out smoothly. First, here is how I glued up the veneers without a veneer press using Cold Press Veneer Glue. I cut two templates that are the same size as the panel be...
After using my Hitachi C10 saw for about a year now….............I found the fence….being rather good…....still was not stable or consistent…..... and spent time measuring each cut with a tape….........so I’ve being checking out all the after market fences available. Got it narrowed down to three and posted a forum question to find out other LJers thoughts and experiences about the three. Finally decided on the Delta T2 System…......ordered it up ...
I built a beautiful Bombay desk from rich mahogany and rosewood. I spent months hunched over it with my carving chisels creating perfectly crisp details. When I was done I knew it was the most beautiful thin I’d ever make. I put it on ebay, sold it for twenty five bucks to a guy who complained it was going to cost so much to crate and ship across the country, and when it arrived it was dented and splintered, so I had to give a full refund, pay the return shipping and burn it in the shop stove...
Got an early start on the big platter project today. I use a power carver, angle grinder, dremel tool and assorted shop made sanders to work on the foot detail. I have a Trent Bosch carving post that mounts directly to my faceplate and this makes working on the back of the platter much easier – the platter stays attached to the facelplate until I am ready to put it back on the lathe. I have just a little bit to finish up and reverse it so I can work on the front. I have ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 178 entries
- bandit571 - 173 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- andyboy - 150 entries