This project is a modified Craftsman display case featured in FWW #211 (April, 2010). I made it a bit wider to match the size of our wall mounted television, and deeper to accommodate our A/V components. The door compartment will feature game and movie storage. Some changes were also made in the construction. In addition to subtle joinery changes, the back is made of plywood as I will need to make cutouts for the A/V cables. Made with quarter sawn white oak, I will post final pics after...
I’ve got a few Pecan logs that I’ve had for over 10 years – so they are dry wood. They are from the branches of a own Pecan tree and they are about 5-6” in diameter and about 12 – 14” long. I just posted a box that I turned from one of the logs – and I’m wondering if I made the best choice as to using the log. I turned this box from the end grain, can I cut it into a blank that would put the end grain on the sides and I would be turning th...
Found out, I have a 6” inlet on my Grizzly 3HP dual bag dust collector, not a 7” like I “assumed” I had. Luckily, I have 6” HVAC parts to use up for today. But it did force me to redo hastily the top plate from 7” to 6”. I also cut out a 14” with 45 degree bevel for a temporary plate used to fine tune the chimney height, for future cleaning of interior lexan, and if I decide to go forth with the bellmouth it will be easy to install.Here is th...
A lot of you are probably used to seeing woodshops full of tools and sawdust. Some even have woodshops that the brothers Green would be jealous of. Well, I have neither. In my first blog in this series, I shared my opinions on table saws and told you which one I was purchasing. Today I will be talking about the space that will eventually become my woodshop. As you can see, it looks more like a garage than a woodshop but I’m going to change that over the course of the next few...
I’ve finally gotten the major stuff done, benches demolished, new ones made, dust collection upgrade, tools moved around, and a generally putting away out of dust site. It seems like the shop has doubled in sized after all the renovations. But….. One thing left to do. A thorough ‘dust’ cleaning. If it’s one thing I’ve learned in the past 6 years is that dust collects equally on horizontal as vertical surfaces. And anything that is out.. any tool will col...
Just a quick thankyou for a suggestion given to me by Randy when a few blogs ago I asked “what do you do about rust?” Randy (Blackie) suggested a bucket and a couple of Gallons of cider vinegar to soak my clamps in that were rusting …just sitting around! I thought I’d try regular white vinegar on my planes that I bought on Ebay as I had been sanding and rubbing with steel wool. Took a zip lock plastic bag and put the plane irons and other rusted small parts l...
This rocker is a James Cole creation. He has been good enough to share his plans, for free, with all who would like to build this beauty. You can find them here The first thing I did was to save his plan pages using the”save image as” function since the plans are not in a downloadable format. Once I had saved all the pages I imported the two plan pages into Matthias Wandel’s Big Print software. Since Mr. Cole drew his plans on a 1” grid is was easy to scale them...
Wagon vise was the first vise I built and used intensively during workbench construction. It worked great from the very beginning, the only thing bothering me was poor steel-on-steel friction conditions just where the pressure applied – between crank and garter plate. The solution came from workbench smackdown thread guys: thrust bearings. So one day I disassembled my wagon vise and upgraded it with thrust bearings. Plus I did couple of other things: shortened the handle (no nee...
This is how the Morris chair looks at this stage.-----I wanted to drill all the 5/8” holes for the backrest assembly before the glueup. It seems like this step would be easy to forget, so I’ll take care of it now. -----There are a lot of odds and ends to take care of before glueup, including easing edges of the parts at the router table. -----Now the side assembly can be dry fit. -----Note that the angled top side rails are 1/4” taller than the shoulders of the leg tenon...
A few weeks ago I bought a pallet load of broken guitars. Most were real junk, you know the kind, Walmart, Costco, etc.In amongst the junk were a couple of Epiphone SG’s or at least enough parts thereof that I could build one.I found a decent straight neck, a body that was pretty good, a set of electronics and pickups and 6 matching tuners.I was really surprised that the neck didn’t have a broken headstock also but hey, I’ll take it! The worst part was a deep gouge about ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 160 entries
- stefang - 148 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 142 entries
- Blake - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- clieb91 - 139 entries
- littlecope - 134 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries