After using the sawmill for awhile I have found a few issues needing some slight improvements. The v-belt would loosen up after some use and then the belt would squeal. I added a belt tensioner to the motor mount and now it only squeals when starting. The bearings I used for the blade guides worked great except they would seize up after a while and changing them was a pain. I decided to try wooden guides using iron wood. I changed the bolt out to a threaded rod for easy changing of ...
I own a Sawstop PCS. I love it and think it is a great saw. I do not own a Bosch saw. But, I am disappointed in Mr. Gass/Sawstop for suing Bosch. I understand business and the concept of protecting intellectual property. However, Sawstop pushes the idea their saws are all about safety. This is pushed as the driving force. Money is secondary. If that is truly the case, why are they suing another company that has technology that can help woodworker safety? Either be honest or drop the suit. Jus...
This morning I had an appointment, but before I left I unclamped yesterday’s glue-ups and glued up another back piece and the last two seat frames. When I returned it was time to peg the seat frames for which I made a jig. Always save your scrap! You never know when you’ll need to make a jig. [Below] This jig is only used to mark where I want to drill the holes for the pegs. It makes them more evenly spaced than exactly positioned. [Below] The jig is just a double ...
I bought my Woodmizer sawmill in 2001 in preparation to mill a lot of eastern Virginia hardwood. I had milled lumber in the 1980’s and had air dried it (on the East Coast of the US) and had powder post beetle damage. So, I researched those critters and discovered that the holes I saw were exit holes from the beetles. They lay eggs in cracks in wood, then the eggs hatch to become larvae, then beetles. To kill the larvae required heat, about 130 degrees F core temperature for an hour woul...
Hello everyone, just uploaded part 4 of our tool cabinet build. Cabinet is coming along great. In this episode we build the drawers, hang some saws and find a home for the chisels. Here’s a link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tsgYM4eMPc
Yesterday morning I honestly did have an entire post written. I was just applying the finishing touches and corrections on it when my computer screen went blank. The power was out.It was a rainy morning here, but nothing like the violent storms I had experienced growing up in Chicago. The rain was soft and relaxing and when I first awoke I could hear some gentle rumbling of thunder in the distance.While the climate here in Nova Scotia is very similar to the one I grew up with living in Chicag...
Known in the trades as Concrete Masonry Units, there’s such a wide variety of shapes and sizes that it boggles the brain. I’ll show you a few different sets of steps that are comfortable for climbing and descending (safety first, always) and I expect them to be durable as well. I have about a 32” difference in elevation from front to rear on the plot where I built the shop/carport last year and I chose to build a retaining wall rather than have a huge slo...
So for the moment, this is a placeholder for a bunch of pictures I’m going to toss up here on the latest step of this process. It’s all together and as long as I can get it fine tuned, will be great. The lineal bearings slide perfectly until the 3×3 piece of extrusion is tightened down to it so I’m assuming there’s some flex in there somewhere causing this to happen. I’ve shimmed the bearings and that has done the opposite and made it not move what so ever E...
[Below] I designed the seat frame to try and conceal the end grain of each board once the chair is completely assembled. Unfortunately this makes it a bit difficult to glue up. A band clamp won’t hold things together well, so I use my trusty bar clamps. [Below] It’s true that you can’t ever have too many clamps in the shop. I was only able to glue up 4 of the 6 chair seat frames today. I’ll let them set overnight and begin again tomorrow morning.
During the prototype process I built a 2-in-1 jig to make tapering the legs easier. [Below] Even though I chose boards that were pretty clear, they were still just common pine boards and had some small knots in them. By cutting the lengths carefully I eliminated some of them. Via the tapering of the legs, I was able to cut out a few more bad spots. (The wedge shaped cut offs from this project can be glued together and used for small projects.) [Below] The piece for the front ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- robscastle - 172 entries
- StumpyNubs - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 150 entries
- littlecope - 150 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- Dave Rutan - 142 entries