I found this box tucked away today and realised I had never completed the blog or posted it as a project way back in 2013. Its got a few veneer chip outs which need fixing but I must have lost interest in it. So here is a few completed shots warts and all. I had a magpie stroll over to see what I was doing then all his mates arrived to get in the action I just kept taking pictures and they just got closer and closer They even checked out the internal trays as w...
For any of the LJs interested in seeing just how big this monster is I thought I had better add these final photos before the table heads off to my Sons Place for Christmas. Its just dry assembled at this stage hence if you spot some parts missing thats why. The top as reported previously has suffered shrinkage all around the various spots on the edges and also across one of the table top joins. Its nothing unexpected but I didnt think it would be as pronounced as it is In this ph...
Although I referenced Boy Van Dyke’s Fine Woodworking Magazine article about his multi-use RIP fence jig in a prior blog post, I thought I should include more photos showing the melamine fence that I bolt to the RIP fence jig in order to cut my tenons on my Saw Stop table saw. I made two versions of this melamine fence; one is the height specified in the magazine’s article. The other fence is two inches taller than the magazine’s article. I also implemented Bob’...
Today I trimmed the tenon shoulders on my table saw. I am glad I own an Incra 3000 HD miter gauge. I thought I had completed all of the shoulder trims, but while plunge routing the through mortises I discovered I had missed one of these shoulders. I had taken the Incra miter gauge off my Saw Stop. No problem, though. Since I have extended the fence to cover the length of the legs, all of my settings to trim these shoulders were still there. All I had to do is remount the Incra miter...
Needed to start with the things that will hold the two frames together.This is being made with what wood is left over from other project.Cherry walnut and oak dowels. I haven’t read one bit of the instructions just using the pictures to get er done.When I get near finished and things aren’t going right I’ll read the fine print and see what I did wrong. lolThe Gatto plans have a lot a reading instructions but these plans came with a full sheet with all the part pictured s...
I just started this build for a client. We originally started with 6/4 sweet gum. That did not work as the wood was heavily warped. We switched to a walnut that is fairly flat, but also only 4/4. Originally on of the 45’s on the desk was going to be a waterfall joint with a hidden spline. Instead I will most like craft the 45, but back it with metal to strengthen the joint. The other side of the desk will be supported by a metal leg. I have not decided what I will seal it with. I am ope...
I got it in my head to try and make one of those bow tie shaped inlays which are sometimes called a dutchmen. Put simply, I have some learning to do. [Above] I cut a bow tie from a piece of spalted, sanded it, and traced it’s outline onto a scrap piece of pine. One possible mistake is that I traced it with a scribe instead of a knife or pencil. [Above] Then I clamped the piece to the bench and chiseled around the perimeter and chiseled around inside the lines to break up t...
No video this time, but just a progress report. The screws for the rack were backed off so the rack could be removed, then the mount board was taken off last night. Time to get it back into the shop tonight so I can lay down the final coat of paint on it and let it cure. I sized up a patch for the original sheet rock hole last night, took a bit of trimming and shaving, but it’s done. Next steps are to remove the furnishings / fixtures in the room, patch the drywall, texture, and p...
I returned to this Trestle Table project today. Actually, I have been doing some items with this project like making a jig or two. The wedge to hold the leg assemblies required a small jig. I also needed to make some templates from the printed plans I got from Fine Woodworking Magazine or Taunton Press. The feet for this table has a curve as well as the cap part at the top of the leg assembly. I made templates for these curves from some 1/4 inch thick MDF. I had cut the mortises ...
I’m a huge fan of the Blues. The Blues are my go-to music in the shop. Stax, Chess, MUddy Water, Joe Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Elvin Bishop, Buddy Guy, the list goes on and on. Well, this week I’ve been singing the Woodworking Blues. I’ve been working on the finish for the walnut desk top. Cutting the openings for the cords went well. I made an mdf template that ran the full length of the top with notches removed where the openings needed to be cut. A little dusty, but the end result t...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries
- bandit571 - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 180 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries