Dust cycloneupgrade for the bin Just a little upgrade.The system works really well and I love the easy way to get rid of the dust now.If I had a bigger shop I would have a bigger bin but for my limited work it is really great.In fact it’s only when I use the thicknesser a lot it is a too small bucket. But I got tired that a lot fell down the side when I had to empty it, so I made this little easy upgrade. A piece of thick MDF, marking the center.In the back you see a white plas...
Or perhaps the title should be, “Form Follows Tragedy”? Here is the initial chapter of the design and construction of a most challenging project. But why would anyone ever want or need to build such a thing? What follows is the documentation of a two year journey into pattern making, wood bending, form construction, curved veneering, trim inlay, creative joinery, jig design, and the ultimate victory of patience and stubbornness over a project that fought me every step of the ...
The back braces were made by cutting thin strips, “lams,” and then laminating them together on a form. Each back brace consists of four lams. The top and bottom lams are Walnut, the same as the rest of the chair. The middle two lams are quarter sawn ash which gives them strength and flexibility. The lams are just shy of 1/8” thick and were cut on the table saw. This operation is generally not something I’d consider doing on the table saw—as its pretty much...
I didnt take a whole lot of photos of the front legs, but here are the few I got: Post #1 shows the slabs and the pattern that was used to outline the front legs. The first photo shows me rounding over the maloof joint to match the radius on the seat side of the joint. The maloof joint was cut the same as the back legs, but without the 6 degree splay (see the previous post). Fitting the joint: The next step was to add the adder block. I dont have a photo of it, but th...
Had a blast up at the Great Wolf Lodge this past weekend—as proof of our never-say-die, got to keep playing as long as we can attitude at the indoor water park hotel/resort, I offer a picture of my youngest the next day passed out in my recliner. This is as quiet as he as ever been outside of his crib in his entire life! The kids are, needless to say, pooped. I am too, but the clock is ticking—we’re well into November now and Christmas is looming on the horizon. I have plenty of time t...
This post contains a lot of images—I’ve posted some here, but for the rest, please visit my woodworking blog) Very productive nap time session today! First order of business was to take advantage of the 65 degree weather and paint the play surface for the top. We chose a primary blue to cover the MDF. The kids have plenty of the green Lego baseplate’s, so blue should compliment what they already have. The MDF took the paint in three thin coats that ate the entire can. Th...
This post is fairly image heavy—I’ll post a few here but to see all the images, please visit my woodworking blog) Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs …and painted the base. It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look ...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
Today was a pretty productive day in that I got all the lower parts of the table ready for finishing, but my final output didn’t look much different than yesterday. To start, I flipped the completed bottom frame over a piece of 1/2” plywood and traced the outline. I then broke out the circular saw and using a straight piece of poplar plank, figured out the blade offset and clamped the straight edge down. I placed this whole thing on top of a sheet of 1 1/2” thick (I think) foam insulation ...
First order of business today was to fix those tubafore supports in the table top. It was tedious, but easy. I clamped it to my bench, unscrewed the studs one at a time and using some clamps and a few select words, screwed them back into place to make sure they were flush with the bottom of the poplar frame boards. With that out of the way and off my mind, I turned to the bottom box (which is really nothing more than a glorified shelf and a place to attach the legs). Like it’s big brother ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- StumpyNubs - 174 entries
- Dave Rutan - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- littlecope - 152 entries
- RaggedKerf - 145 entries
- Blake - 144 entries
- scottb - 144 entries