Hello again, I left off last time with the design and materials for the kitchen utensil box. I started by milling the Padauk for the four corner posts. These posts are 1” square, while the piece of Padauk I purchased is 8/4. To avoid excess waste, I decided to resaw off about 5/8” for later use. I primarily used my table saw with a thin kerf blade, but since the board was about 6” wide, and my max blade height is 2”, I had to complete the operation by hand. Below is...
I needed an end vise for ma bench. So I built one. White oak was the hardest wood I had on hand in a useable quantity. I’ll try to keep it short. Didn’t have a large enough piece for the chop(?) but I had 2 that I really liked. So I joined them with a sliding dovetail. Made with table saw, chisel and a home made router plane (the block of oak with the Allen wrench sticking out). I cut rabbets into the bottom guide rails simply because I bought a new to me plow plane. It ...
This past weekend, I purchased a gallon of Restore 10x from my local hardware store. This stuff is pretty common and easy to find. Although it’s mainly used for resurfacing decks, it will work just fine on getting one last good seal on the boat, and waterproofing it as well. For $25, I think it will make a huge impact on the SS TroutSlayer.
I left off with some cypress jointed and planed for the stretchers with a loose idea of what I wanted to do. I was originally hoping to do a “loopy” sort of deal (like the loopy infill), but I’d need to invest in a router guide bushing set and make or buy some templates and bits. In the end, I just did this Which translates to this. After milling the stretchers and the dados in the legs, I went ahead and glued the legs in first. Then the stretchers. Then a little purpleheart...
Hey Guys! Well, a short day in the shop today. As you may remember, when I cut the right side piece of the box to its correct height, it left the tongues and grooves exposed on that side. With the cutoff piece, I needed to notch out the cutoff to make room for the tongues of the lid to slide through when the lid is slid open. In order to notch the cutoff piece, I made a jig to accomplish that safely. I then notched the cutoff piece by making a couple of passes over the rou...
https://youtu.be/fvLBwSk_PV8 This was a fun little project that was a gift for my Aunt. The wood is cherry. I just winged the design and measurements.
Dye / ageing with; tea, vinegar and steel woolfor wood types with no or low tannins. I have seen some wonderful examples of dying wood with vinegar and steel wool, but this was on wood with natural tannins like oak. I wanted to age some pine and this has none of that. So when my friend Thy and I talked about it the other day here in my shop it got me thinking…A fast web tour gave quick results, the tannins can be found in black tea and there were plenty examples of this recipe....
Awhile back I posted a question about the usefulness of the wood from a rose of sharon bush.My observation was that is is surprisingly white. Some lumberjocks encouraged me to dry it and see how it turned out. I took a small section from the root flare and set it out to dry without any special preparation and I was surprised at how much it shrinks. The wood dries to a somewhat yellowish color but sands up very pale, but as you may note from the picture, it cracked wide open. The pie...
I started a new project this weekend, and part of that was prepping some rough cherry. What good projects generally start with, is another project first lol I was looking for something to use as winding sticks (I usually use pieces of aluminum angles), when I decided I’d just make a set from some scraps instead (about time). These are Poplar with Padauk accents. I used a scrap from a piece I had on my tool chest, but later removed (hence there’s a few screw holes). It was...
Well this weekend saw the final two timbers go into position on the pergola. And at last the structural part of this project is complete. Still has to be painted and some kind of polycarbonate sheeting put up, but I’m calling this done. Here’s a couple of pics of the finished pergola with my hard working son who did the lion’s share of the work, surveying his accomplishment.
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries
- robscastle - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- StumpyNubs - 152 entries
- littlecope - 150 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 147 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- Eric - 139 entries