I got an early start today as I want to finish this piece and get two more rough turned. Lumberjocks Steven and Roper both brought up good points about putting a plastic bag over the piece if it was going to sit overnight to prevent cracks and checks. Since this wood has been stored in the barn since early in the year I decided to not cover it and see what would happen. Inspected the piece this morning and there were no checks, cracks or splits – probably wouldn’t gamble again ...
Hi guys, The helmet cam I ordered came in today. I used it for this video. It’s not made for indoors and the sound quality isn’t as good as the iPhone either but it does work. Yesterday after putting the motor back together I cleaned all gummed up sawdust stuck to the inside of the blade shroud. It was a lot of work but it is ready for painting now. Maybe I’ll do that tonight… but I doubt it. I need someone to tell me what the best thing is to clean that gun...
We are back from our first show of the year. The weather was good except for friday. It rained inthe afternoon. Sales wre great. Better than last year. New items sold real well. Now it is back to the shop to get things made for our next show in Nov. I think the economy is picking up.
Visited a home this morning to talk to the home owners about remodeling their kitchen. The actual remodel job, if I get it, won’t start until after the first of the year. I scoped out the job and it looks like a good project. The owners stopped by our house last night and looked at what I’ve been doing. They also asked me to repair some furniture for them which i did later in the morning. Tomorrow I’m going to an all-day business seminar on internet marketing.
Spray Booth Design Requirements #1: Exhausting (the purpose of a spray booth) attracts unfiltered air
Hello everyone, I know there is much talk on this subject but I have not seen anything related to establishing proper design requirements of a spray booth so here goes. As you can see in one of my projects I built a spray booth (concept 1) based on a simple design requirment, to exhaust the overspray so that the finish improves, and to that end it worked. However, now that I am thinking about this in more depth, the process of exhausting the overspray also pulls fresh air in, air that may ...
Hi. I was asked to make a campaign table for an 18th century re-enactor and I will be finishing it soon. I made this project out of cherry and used birch plywood for the top. The plywood top was edged with cherry and I attached it with hide glue and cut nails. I turned the legs from 2 1/2 ” square stock and after much searching found this leg profile to be appropriate for a campaign style table. The legs and short aprons are attached with mortise and tenon joints. I added lon...
A journey into the workshop. #16: Being there for one of my best friends... I NEED TO VENT. NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!!!
I sat in my shop, more or less leaning on the bench, kind of staring at the mess, and the equipment, not really getting anything done… I had just gotten off the phone with one of my best friends from high school. The guy that was the best man at my wedding, and has been there for me through thick and thin… And I’d like to think I have been likewise… But the news last night was a bit much to take. I am pretty sure I sounded like a fool on the phone, but what can you ...
Got the two beds and the bookcase built in record time, two days. It help that the customer will apply the finish. I finished them up on Saturday just before time to go home. Until I can post the project, here is a link to the videos and building pictures (click here). (at the bottom of the page) For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. See what we are doing live: <div></div>
Got this pile of lumber at a yard sale for $20. actually i forgot (!) to pick up 4 of the longest, cleanest boards, which i’ll do tonight. it’s old mahogany trim that was ripped out of an Eagles club. lots of paint and nails on it. by mass about half of it is more usable ~3/4” stock that is about 6’x5”. the other half is thinner angled trim – presumably from door frames. it’s going to require a lot of work – and this is my first time usi...
So, of late I’ve been wondering if I should start gearing up for another 30 days challenge in November. Prep some stock, glue ups and make lists of ideas (which makes the most sense). or rather be lazy and enjoy the nice fall weather, and just wing it come November. Well the fates have answered in the form of getting an offer on our house! Closing date mid month. Yay, we get to move! Crap we have to move. Needless to say I have a whole new set of challenges and logistics, not only...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1637 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 222 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- robscastle - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- StumpyNubs - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- Dave Rutan - 153 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 151 entries
- littlecope - 151 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries