I finally completed the boxes. I lined the inside bottom of the boxes with tobacco colored pigskin. On the two walnut boxes I cut 9/16 leather circles and superglued to the bottom at the corners to protect dresser tops etc. The maple chest has button feet made from maple hole plugs that look like very short mushrooms. Sorry no photos of the feet and bottoms.
Guild members will remember this small excerpt from the Shaker Table series. Its just a taste of some of the fun we have in the Guild. Sign up now and get 15% off your membership. Dovetails: very few joints are held in such high regard. Not sure why exactly, but there seems to be a nearly universal love and adoration for this flying vermin-inspired interlocking joint. And I don’t care what anyone says, doves are just dirty pigeons in a lighter-colored outfit. To be fair thoug...
This chest is a class project I did. The design is not mine; the instructor (Jim Vice) provided this design. It took many hours to build and covers many woodworking techniques. It is currently not quite finished yet. I still have to make walnut plugs and cover those screw holes, secure the top, chose some know (I am thinking brass) and of course apply a finish. We primarily used Ash throughout. The drawer dividers, back and bottom are plywood. I chose sapele for the drawer front inl...
This video covers a few simple projects that any woodworker of any skill level can make. I show a prototype of two projects that I’m currently filming how to videos on. A band saw box and a woodworking mallet. Both are made out of simple and easy to acquire materials, Alder and pine. Cheap and no excuses here: These projects are designed to be able to go from start to finish in one to two days, simple weekend projects that can be made from left over or scrap woods. Excluding finish I am using...
If you are a Weekender Builder will you please let me know about what you think re: “concerns” listed BELOW… Well…sorry for the lack of photos last time…but since my last post we had some visitors and my last sailing lesson—-I am now a graduate of a US Sailing Program…woot… Last week I finished cutting out more parts…and then waited for all the stainless screws to come in… This week I finally “played” with epoxy&...
For several months I’ve been trying to master the elusive dovetail joint. The only thing I’ve been able to create is a whole lot of firewood kindling. It’s been a frustrating and trying experience. I’ve read many tutorials, reviewed the Pins first or Tails first debate. Looked at ways and jigs to keep the cuts in the correct plane and alternative methods to clear out the waste material. My joints were always too loose, too tight, not lined up correctly and nothing I tr...
July 2010This month, in our July issue of our LumberJock eMag, I had the privilege of interviewing Scott Bryan. Here is the full interview. How did you find Lumberjocks and what keeps you coming back?I became aware of Lumberjocks about 3 years ago as I was browsing the web sites of Matt Vanderlist and Marc Spagnolo. Both were promoting LJs at the time and I thought that the site sounded interesting. This prompted me to take a look at the site and I was floored by the stunning projects ...
Hello everyone out there. I am very new to woodworking and have found lumberjocks to be extremely helpful so far. I recently decided that I wanted a new table for my apartment. I went around the corner of my place in Brooklyn to a really cool shop where they make tables, cabinets, dressers etc. I left a little down after they asked me for $1200 for a very small table. I then decided to try to make the table myself! Last weekend while on a trip in Vermont I was able to find a very nice, ...
I’ve been doing a lot of investigation, research, and pondering about my new dust collector, so I figured I’d track my thoughts in the blog to hopefully save people time who are doing the same, and also to show how I ended up setting up and how I got there. I picked up a Jet 1100a dust collector on Craig’s List for $175, with a bucket of blast gates, hose claps, and reducers tossed in to round it out at $200 (and the bucket… never can have too many of those). It is...
I realized I had been working on it and not sharing… How could I? All the molding is now the semi-gloss brown—we like it SO much better than the off-white we tried first. When we started, we painted it off-the-wall before installing, thinking it would save effort. Honestly, with the nail hole filling, calking the seams where the ceiling and walls were uneven, etc, we’re having to put new coats on anyway, with the tape and the whole nine, so it really didn’t save...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 200 entries
- HappyHowie - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 184 entries
- clieb91 - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries