Ok. So on Friday I glued the four legs to the seat. Now it is time to clean up all the joints and make them look great. So after glue up, our front leg to seat joint looks like: So I break out my trusty Lancelot carving disc on the right angle grinder (see seat carving) and ever so gently get rid of the excess material, not trying to get perfect, just close. On the top and bottom of the seat where the leg needs to flow into the seat I use a spindle sander on the power-drill t...
I’m back in the shop after some time out to visit my wife’s village for a funeral. The cabinet for my workshop has been fully assembled, a stain and finish applied and my planer / thicknesser has been mounted. The jointer cabinet is mounted on 4 small castors and seems very stable in use. I had some problems fixing the top onto the cabinet and mounting the jointer. I hadn’t really thought about access for fixing the top when I put the fixed shelf in place and there re...
I have found a bandsaw (walker turner bandsaw Ser#19639) the top pulley is missing. Will it be too much trouble to find a pulley, Does anyone not know where to look fo parts? is a bandsaw like this worth having or will i be better off going with the Rigid from the big box store? any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Well it’s day 6 of my 30 Projects in 30 Days challenge and I’ve just completed my fourth project. I did not expect this challenge to be easy, and so far I have not been dissappointed! In an effort to make sure no one is getting bored with my continued wine bottle stopper collection, I thought I would push myself to try something new. I’ve been thinking off using the open segmentation technique for a little while now, so I spent the past couple days putting this together t...
After looking at Russel’s pics of a project that used a spray shellac, I decided to give it a try instead of spray on poly. I gotta say that I was very impressed with the results of 1 coat of shellac vs. 3+ of poly. 1 coat of shellac gave me the sheen I have been looking for. So… Thanks Russel for the inspiration to step out of the box. I am now a fan of shellac.
My bones haven’t finished knitting back together, and the gum tree chunks are still in the bed, but on the way back from a fast food run tonight, I saw a log pile on the grass in front of the sidewalk, right on my block! I backed up in front of the driveway there, and loaded one very large trunk piece, and a bunch of other large branch pieces in right on top of the eucalyptus. I have a feeling they were out all day, and people picked through the little stuff for firewood, leaving the la...
Well, After much thought and input from everyone. I decided to make 2 of these boards into Angel wings, My wife and I have an couple that are very special to us and they collect Angels. So this is going to be a present for them. Here is a picture of the drawing I have so far. The overall size will be about 12 inches square. The Angel will be about 8 inches tall. Here is a picture of the woods I will be useing. The wings are the white oak crotch that I started this post ...
I recently had the need to secure a top to an irregular box using glue and biscuits and was successful using careful measuring BUT the following idea came to me. Why doesn’t someone make a biscuit positioner similar to that used to position the mating dowel holes. For doweling it is a simple metal dowel that has a ridge and a centering pin. For a biscuit it would be about 60 percent of the curved part and three pins that would show where the mating biscuit cutout should be. I passed thi...
Here are some pics of the haul! This one shows a ton of Eucalyptus Longhorn Borer activity, just like the much tinier tree I found awhile ago: with raked lighting here: This log has something like quilting on two faces: Unfortunate checking going on here. I’ll have to see how deep it goes, and if it’s all the way through, I’ll have to learn a little something about filling and stabilizing. It would be a shame to have to turn all of these into ...
Once the mortises have been cut in the legs, it’s time to cut the tenons on the aprons. After cutting the apron stock to the correct length and measuring the depth of the mortise we’ll cut the shoulders of the tenon joint on the table saw. These aprons are 3/4” thick, therefore the tenon should be 1/4”. Using the Kreg miter gauge, I’ll carefully saw the shoulders. I should have used a zero clearance insert, but was too lazy to make another, so I just used the oe...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1530 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 251 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- robscastle - 155 entries
- clieb91 - 155 entries
- littlecope - 147 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Blake - 143 entries
- StumpyNubs - 143 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 140 entries
- Eric - 139 entries