I was browsing the Popular Woodworking web site about a week ago when I innocently poked on a link to infill plane maker Sauer and Steiner. The site described how the dovetailed metal bodied planes are made using hand tools that most people already have. That was all I needed for motivation. I already own a hacksaw and a bunch of files. Never mind that I’ve never done any metal work or the fact that I already own two Stanley #4 planes, I’M GOING TO BUILD AN INFILL PLANE! An...
It’s been months since I’ve been able to do any woodworking. I guess being busy in this economy is a good thing. I finally got a couple of days in the shop to address in-progress projects. The biggest was my mental block on the 4-sided quartersawn legs for the dining table. In a previous entry, I discussed how I botched the lock miter joint. It took me a while to get up the nerve to get back to work on them because if I biffed it again, they’d be too thin and I’d ...
I posted a question in the forum section here two months ago asking what others did for organizing all their screws, hooks, etc. in their shops. Some people suggested buying plastic bins, others said use jars or bags. I had a plan in a magazine full of shop storage and tool cabinets put out by the Woodsmith/Shop Notes people and so I decided to make my own. Unfortunately I felt like one of Santa’s elves with the assembly line of parts. It seemed to take forever to make all the b...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #76: Fretwork Cross Candle Tray and Charms
After the initial delay of the morning yesterday, things went pretty well. The power remained on and as I understand it, it was out all the way to town for the time that it was. Although it remained overcast for most of the day, the misty rain subsided and by the time in needed to do the quick routing on the candle tray, the pavement was even dry. Things went very well. Since I changed my router bit, I have had little problem with burning. Apparently the dull bit was the culprit, and I...
My new projects,table whit cherry wood.My projects is on progress the table is not gluing. I put the tung oil for finish and the wipe-on poly for the last finish.
Hello All, Tonight I had the tiniest of triumphs. I love it when I am able to come up with a clever clamping solution. I am not sure why, but each time I do, I feel great about it. That is all that happened tonight, I figured something out and then had to write about it. A small success tonight, which made me feel very clever. http://su.pr/6YPgV9 Brian
It’s been a couple weeks since the last entry. Vacations and other priorities have slowed things down but we’re still making good progress. Here is a picture of the insulation before the interior sheeting and drywall. The wall behind Steve has the electric panel, an air line, natural gas feed, the hydronic water heating manifold, 220v outlet and vacuum ducting some time down the road. In hindsight, I wish I’d have put a few outlets in the ceiling. The walls ...
This is a second generation Steps cutting board made out of walnut, maple, and cherry. The first Steps board I made used a basic square with edge of maple and cherry to make it a block and a notch to do the stepping. I wanted to try to make a stepping board using the hex Tumbling Block design, and this is what I came up with. In order to make the hex do the stepping, I needed to notch all three sides, as can be seen in the Sketchup drawing. The cool thing here is that it steps in two di...
Sheesh…. I can not believe how fast 3 years has already gone by. Thanks to everyone here for your encouragement, help and ideas. It has been a great time. Looking back I have been able to complete a large portion of my goal of building my own office suite, 4 out of 6 planned pieces have been completed. Each piece a little better then the last thanks to some of the things I have learned here. Worked on a number of small fun projects as well, really do like those puzzles and looking forward to ...
Hey All, Sorry it took a while to get back to this. I had some sad family business to take care of, but I got back and finished this sander. Basically, I just built a box around the drum. It took a LOT of tweaking, primarily because I stink at design. Someone with better design skills could have measure the box height better than I did, but what the hey, it was fun figuring it out. I routed the length of the top with a straight bit and a cove bit to get the shape. I used some l...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- HappyHowie - 202 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 201 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 184 entries
- clieb91 - 165 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 152 entries