I finished my entry with only a few setbacks along the way! I entered my photos at 11:30pm April 30th and unfortunately i wasn’t able to shoot my photos as professionally as i wanted. I had planned on making a pub scene and having some friends over to break the table in with a few drinks and food. But my wife got called into work, my friends were distracted, and so i was left alone! More importantly i didn’t have anyone to help me move the table from the basement because i need...
"Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt #5: "Untrammeled Possibilities and Unexpended Opportunities"
Untrammeled Possibilities and Unexpended Opportunities ....out here is where i was first awakened, awakened to what-where-when and why, awakened to all the un-trammeled possibilities that call my name, awakened to the un-expended opportunities i gather to…. Out here silence starts off as a thing of beauty, but the silence soon passes on to a sound of great talking going on between the different players in this outside play of nature…. ....walking the woods out here is...
I thought about this problem and came up with the following solution. This is one side of the dust panel. I will cut a shallow tenon on the end of the runner and an accompanying mortise in the leg to accept it. This will capture the runner when I assemble the side panel. The runner will have a long dado in which the dust panel will ride (with a long tenon). I started cutting it up tonight. The Sketchup model has been modified and I think I have all the joinery worked out. Update ...
This is the router table that I have been working on. It has been an interesting experience in that this is my first attempt at building a cabinet and drawers. The cabinet itself is made out of 3/4” cabinet grade plywood. The end panels and back are aligned using #20 biscuits, and secured with glue and screws, while the center panels are set in dadoed grooves. The face frame was constructed using pocket screws and aligned to the cabinet with buisquits. The face frame is made from...
I should have started taking pictures earlier in the process of building this bed. This is a king size mission style bed I am building for the wife and I. As you can see it is nearly complete. I sprayed the second of three coats of water based polyurethane today. Tomorrow I will lightly sand everything and spray the final coat. I have not sprayed the top surface of the headboard and footboard top railing so I can glue them on without marring the finish. I will glue up the bed tomorrow...
As mentioned in the previous entry, at the suggestion of my instructor, I modified the design such that the whole top would be a torsion grid. This approach did present its own problem though. Since the design called for the ‘leg’ to act as a massive tenon seated in the underside of the top, I would need a lot of bulk around the leg. I considered laminating solid wood pieces to build it up. I decided against that; I can’t recall why. Instead, I opted to take what I call t...
Today was a big day! I finally installed the cabinets for my first full kitchen today! Rolly, our finisher, painted them at the end of last week. I am still waiting for the drawer guides to be delivered, along with the lazy susan hardware and the knobs, pulls, and shelf pegs. Also, the blue paint on the island is taking FOREVER to cure, so I haven’t taken those doors or the panels that will go on the sides to the jobsite yet. Oh, and I still have toe kicks and crown molding to go ...
Today was the last day of my career as a Sr. Quality Engineer for a medical device manufacturer. This day has been a long time time coming, and it brought up a lot of mixed emotions.I am now a professional in the field of furniture repair and restoration. My son Tommy and I have gone into business together and purchased a Furniture Medic franchise.We will be traveling to Memphis in June for training, and our shingle goes up June 23.Wish us luck!
Well today I got to working on the second bench. I assembled it and brought it over to the deck and trimmed up the straight bench and the curved bench so that they fit in the corner of the deck. I then went and got the trim router with a 1/4” roundover (got to make it kid friendly) and a sander to get rid of the saw marks, saw cuts and roundover where the trim router won’t reach. I did the edges on both surfaces of the benches and sanded both of them. Here are ...
In my experience working with bloodwood I found the following… It is very hard (Janka 2900). Sometimes chips out with the router and is very difficult to hand sand in the nooks and cranies. I’ve recently heard that it “is HELL on scroll saw blades” too. It can be quite fragile when it gets thin. In order to make my heart cross, I had to create my own plywood by resawing my stock and gluing the two pieces back together with the grain at 90 degrees to give it th...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1207 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- stefang - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- Blake - 137 entries
- littlecope - 132 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 128 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries
- Dick, & Barb Cain - 125 entries