The most common topic request for Safety Week was dust and respirators. So here’s a quick review of the dust and fumes that can make our lives miserable in the shop, and why we need respirators for pro-active protection. And below you will find a links to the exact respirator setup I like to use: the 3m 7500 Series. Some convenient links if you are looking to purchase this respirator system: Small, Medium, Large. And don’t forget the organic vapor cartridges%, the upgrade...
So with the basic bench built it,s time to increase its ability to do some serious work. Without a vise other ways have to be found to hold stock and as Adam Cerubini pointed out it,s the ability to securely hold stock that makes hand tool work easier,safer and all the more enjoyable and it frees you up to concentrate on holding the tool with a more effective grip which in turn makes your work more accurate. All these jigs have been written about and described in books and magazines going b...
Last call for alcohol. This is a final reminder to all Michigan Lumberjocks that the picnic is May 16th at my home. So far DHG, Russell and Tearen has committed themselves. Jockmike2 will be there in spirit. C’mon guys we had alot of interest at the start of the whole thing. I would love to see more people there.
Finally finished it.. Lots of other things happening in my world at the moment. So will post the last step.After attaching the bearing to the base insert a bolt 3/8” in to the centre hole of the base and locate it in the top underneath,.,using the access hole line up and drive screws though the holes to attach the base to the top/.Just a matter of finishing the top…tung Oil finish for me.,This concludes this blog.. thank you all for reading it… If you have any requests f...
As part of the COMPLETE restoration of the nice Walker Tuner table saw I have been working on I ran into a little problem with the arbor bearings. I have completely disassembled the saw and have it painted and now its finally time to start putting it back together. I wanted to replace the old arbor bearings with new, sealed ones. The old bearings were open and had to be greased and I want to take that out of the equation. I measured the shaft and the arbor itself and asked a few questio...
Not that this is a huge great idea but I had never thought of it I used to buy shop hand towels and my Ex would say what a waste. So I went to the local thrift store and bought a bunch of old beach towels and cut them up and now she is happy and I get to destroy towels and not feel like I am wasting so much. Every little bit helps these day
It’s been a rough week trying to finish a piece I’m under the gun for, it’s got to be ready for my nieces wedding. Being new at this, I’ve made numerous mistakes – and the latest may require a thermonuclear option, I’m making a cutting board, and I gouged it badly when rounding the edges. I’m off to my mentors tomorrow to see if it can be saved, but I fear I may have to take a slice off of two sides. (Sigh.) Ah well. If it were easy, what would...
I went to the hardware store in town yesterday and bought a can of Deft brand Lacquer by mistake instead of poly. I thought I would try deft brand poly instead of the only other satin poly that they had (ACE). I did read the back of the can, and picked up some lacquer thinner to clean the brush. When I bought the thinner I should have thought something was not right. I got it to the shop and got it mixed and started applying. The first thing I noticed was that the VOC’s where much s...
First off, let me say that I started discussion of this project in my blog. I know realize that I should have used this Projects category but at the time I was doing a lot of SketchUp blogging and as things worked out it got posted in my blog just after I began planning it. The design is an amalgam of several pieces I saw and liked and it is to date the largest single piece I’ve attempted. I quickly realized that I had underestimated just about every aspect of the project includi...
Installment #7 was actually done yesterday . . . I just blogged it tonight. This is what we did tonight. It was a little windy and drizzly tonight, however we were determined to get the roof on. I started by attaching two blocks on each side of the roof on the inside. Once the roof is up on the frame these blocks would guide the roof back along the sides. The theory is that it would prevent the roof from sliding off to either side. Theory did actually work in this case. Bolti...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1318 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- clieb91 - 143 entries
- Blake - 141 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- littlecope - 135 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- RaggedKerf - 130 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries