The central part of each closet consists of a cabinet with shelves that are to be 7’tall x24” wide x16” deep. Because I will need to join boards together to get the 16” depth of the side panels I will use biscuits to help in the alignment and strength of the glue joint. After resizing and jointing the pieces to get the 16” width I set up the router table with a 3/16” slot cutting bit and added bed extensions to support the workpiece. By pushing the w...
Bear with me. It’ll make sense eventually. I’ve got two vise screws. One was generously donated by a “homeboy” from the Porch, Bill Taggart, when I visited his place a couple few years ago. The other was a $10 eBay purchase. I’m trying to decide which one to use in my leg vise. Allow me to present the two candidates, and then leave your verdict in the comments below. Candidate A is a standard metal vise screw. I dunno, looks like about an inch or so thick, ...
Well it’s been 6 months of planning, coordinating, advertising, making new friends, forging new relationships with retailers, and a whole lot of learning about WordPress. Oh, and a little bit of woodworking thrown in there too. After all of that we’re happy to announce the winners of The Sawdust Chonicles Spring 2009 30-Day Build Challenge: Winning Beginner WoodworkersWaid Hundley – Woodcraft Magazine’s Joe Hurst Personally Sharpened and Tuned Block PlaneDavid Benton – Rock...
Well my site is coming along www.eternal-furniture.com Wanted to give a sneak peak at the photos for my portfolio. Wanted a artistic pleasing photos that were unique but still highlighted the furniture. Also just did my first show. Unfortunately no sales but hope some leads will come from it.
Progress on the island has been slow due to a very busy work schedule. My wife and I worked on it this weekend. We installed the oak face trim and a 2×3 sub-base frame that will give the cabinet additional support on the bottom. Into that we installed the turned legs and began to install the 2” base skirt/trim that hides the sub-base frame. You can see the front piece of trim installed in the photo. We cut all the rails and stiles for the raised panel doors, only to realize we f...
I have been commissioned by a former client to build all new shelving and cabinets in the master bedroom his and her walk-in closets. I have done a few smaller projects for them in the past consisting of three custom display pedestals and a small marble top table all done from Brazilian cherry with accent inlay work. I guess that they like my artistic style of woodworking so when they asked me to do the closets I figured that this would be a great opportunity to do something totally out of my...
Just didn’t have a lot of time on my hands like I expected this weekend. Isn’t that always the way? Anyway, to the cupboard! The plan had been to get the lower case stiles attached as well as the upper face frame. Then I could attack the door and top molding (that will be interesting). As it was, all I got done was to mill the boards for the lower case stiles and the stiles and rails for the door so they are all the same thickness. Here you can see the two lower case sti...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
As a home hobbyist in a big city, not working as much in BF as in “oh look, a log!” I decided to keep things simple on myself and go with KD DF for stickering my slabs. I have a bunch of really old, really dry stuff, and in fact tried to build some finger-jointed frames for another project I’d like to post about someday, but dropping one only a foot to the ground caused all 4 corners to shatter. It’s that dry. I figure that means it’ll be fairly inert, though who...
One thing I noticed while building my Roubo was that there appeared to be some uncorrected blade drift and inaccuracy in my bandsaw. I have to admit, taking the time to tune it up properly has been on my todo list for a long time, but I’d never gotten around to it. Since this is Tool Tuneup week, I decided it was finally time. The top and bottom doors lift off their pins quite easily, which makes it easier to remove the blade. Then I loosed the four bolts and removed the t...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1210 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- Blake - 137 entries
- littlecope - 132 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 130 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries
- Dick, & Barb Cain - 125 entries