I have been commissioned by a former client to build all new shelving and cabinets in the master bedroom his and her walk-in closets. I have done a few smaller projects for them in the past consisting of three custom display pedestals and a small marble top table all done from Brazilian cherry with accent inlay work. I guess that they like my artistic style of woodworking so when they asked me to do the closets I figured that this would be a great opportunity to do something totally out of my...
Just didn’t have a lot of time on my hands like I expected this weekend. Isn’t that always the way? Anyway, to the cupboard! The plan had been to get the lower case stiles attached as well as the upper face frame. Then I could attack the door and top molding (that will be interesting). As it was, all I got done was to mill the boards for the lower case stiles and the stiles and rails for the door so they are all the same thickness. Here you can see the two lower case sti...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
As a home hobbyist in a big city, not working as much in BF as in “oh look, a log!” I decided to keep things simple on myself and go with KD DF for stickering my slabs. I have a bunch of really old, really dry stuff, and in fact tried to build some finger-jointed frames for another project I’d like to post about someday, but dropping one only a foot to the ground caused all 4 corners to shatter. It’s that dry. I figure that means it’ll be fairly inert, though who...
One thing I noticed while building my Roubo was that there appeared to be some uncorrected blade drift and inaccuracy in my bandsaw. I have to admit, taking the time to tune it up properly has been on my todo list for a long time, but I’d never gotten around to it. Since this is Tool Tuneup week, I decided it was finally time. The top and bottom doors lift off their pins quite easily, which makes it easier to remove the blade. Then I loosed the four bolts and removed the t...
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about exploring a new backwoods playground in Eleanor, WV. I returned to Putnam County Park yesterday morning to explore some different trails. It didn’t look good at first. Looking out the window at daybreak, the sky was overcast, the wind was increasing in intensity, and there were distant rumbles of thunder. I decided to chill out a while on our screened porch and listen to the approaching storm – and promptly fell asleep with 3 of our cats curled...
Happy Solstice and Happy Fathers Day! Whether it’s the first day of summer or winter, it’s a great day to fire up the grill. June 21st. Three weeks in. Just about 3/4 of the way through this challenge. The week took me away from the shop, so most of these projects were done on two weekend days. While it would be nice to get busy and coast through the rest of the month, I think I’ll just take it one at a time (especially if it’s going to be as rainy as they say.) ...
Let me show you why tonight’s shop-time sucked… Sigh… So I had a 2gal bucket of Anchorseal – prized wood end grain sealer for drying logs and planks. I was carrying it to a spot in the shop where I was to seal up a bunch of European olive bottle blanks I resawed and cut up from a large log tonight. My foot got hung up really well on something – maybe my rolling stand – and I lurched forward hard. Of course, I never trip like that, but since I was car...
So I had my order all lined up: 123 board feet of kapur wood. But I couldn’t pull the trigger. Why? The price. The total cost of the lumber needed for my workbench would have been $212. Maybe that’s not a lot; I don’t know what lumber costs are like where you are. But it’s about $50 more than I expected to have to pay, and in our world, $50 is a lot of money. While I was there, I did find out that they have four different kinds of wood: nyatoh, selangan batu, kapur ...
In a comment by Topamax in this post he made some assumptions, and ran some numbers, and got 188lbs for the largest Eucalyptus log I managed to lift into the truck and bring home from Canoga Hills. I really felt it was over 200lbs, so today I set this up: It’s just some scrap weathered pine stacked up into a makeshift ramp to my bathroom scale out on the patio, with some 2×4s on the scale to keep the log from pressing its central buttons, or marking up its face. The 2×4...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1209 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- stefang - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries
- Eric - 139 entries
- Blake - 137 entries
- littlecope - 132 entries
- GaryK - 131 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 129 entries
- RaggedKerf - 127 entries
- thewoodwhisperer - 127 entries
- Dick, & Barb Cain - 125 entries