It seems like it has been weeks since I have written, even though it has only been a couple of days. These past few days I have been in "elf mode" and even though I have been terribly busy, I can't show much of what I am doing here yet. There are many surprises in the works.Over the weekend, I worked in many directions. I had wanted to make a pot of soup, but I haven't managed to do that yet. Hopefully later on today. I spent Saturday cutting orders and Sunday Ke...
This is one of the most interesting parts of this build. Joining the angled drawer sides to the curved drawer fronts. As always I like to start from the end so you know where I’m headed. The first picture is a bottom view of the sides connected to the fronts with a half blind sliding dovetail spline. So the question is how did I come up with this idea (not claiming originality here) and how do you get the two mortises to line up? My initial thought was to do an integral d...
Banquette build....my first furniture attempt #3: My third child is stained and ready for protection
I call this my third child because as I’m nearing the finish line with this we have had two children, my wife quit her job to stay home with the kids, and I’ve gone through a job change (with promotion). With all that has gone on this poor project has had more off time than on, but now I am so close to the finish line I can taste it. Since the last post I got all of the final little cuts and finishes buttoned up. I was still struggling with the stain but finally found...
Well, since the last time I was here…...Got a glue up somehow done. Test fit wasn’t too hateful…..tried to clamp it up with glue on the tenons…... Well after letting that mess cure for a day or so…... Did you ever have to use a hammer while clamping up a glue up? One Pipe clamp kept trying to rotate right back off….Add a c clamp to put a stop to that. Had to rotate the second one, for a better “grip”. Then had to add the third...
I have wanted to do this for quite some time, so I signed up to sell at a local craft show/fundraiser for my son’s show choir this Saturday. I’ve been working on my inventory, mainly on weekends, since September. Most of my product can be seen in my recent project posts for those who are interested. I’ve got more than enough inventory to take care of the show. Actually, I’ve kind of over done it. Besides the woodworking, I’ve set up a credit card reader, start...
Next up was to shape the arms. Again, credit goes to Hal Taylor and his plans for making this build possible… The arm blanks are the two wider boards right in the center of this photo: The first step in shaping the arms is to put a cove in the blanks to form the curvature where your arms rest. This was a really interesting operation—one that I never wouldve thought to attempt. I built a jig that slides along a board clamped to my table saw. The jig holds the arm bl...
It’s Monday and it’s back to the ole grind I go. This is another blog in my ongoing series to remodel my shop and make a saw till, drill press cabinet, tool cabinet, plane till and workbench. I have been woodworking for 16+ years and have always done my work in dark, dusty caves on anything that would resemble a bench. I have finally decided to spoil myself and go hog wild doing it. I wanted to bring you all along as I made these pieces as it will be a very epic build. I have ...
This is a stand for woodturners to be able to remove their project, a vase, bowl, or any other turning from the lathe and not have to remove the chuck or faceplate to embellish it in some way. Like sanding, carving or drilling. I have seen similar stands done with gas pipe. This is my version. From left to right, the first is a 1” x8TPI x 1 1/2” long rod with a flat washer and a 1/2” rod welded to it. Second is a 2” length of 1” round steel with a 1/2”...
This time I’m starting to make the top for the table. Since it’s going to have a solid wood frame around it, I need to use veneered panels. I show how to make shop sawn veneer and get it ready for veneering. Then I show how I glue it to the substrate, and how to use the vacuum bag to press it to the substrate. I had a lot of fun doing this as it is a new process for me. If you would like to learn more about the vacuum bag veneering process, I recommend going to Andy Pitts’...
Todays workI had hoped to be able to mount the frame on the wall today, temporarily assemble the clock and then see if it would run. That didn’t happen as a lot of small jobs had to be done first and it wound up taking a lot more time than planned. At the end of my last blog I was here with the clock temporarily assembled. One problem solvedYou might be able to see in the photo that the main hour dial is too high to match up with the pinion gear of the uppermost wheel on the left. I...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1686 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 209 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries
- StumpyNubs - 174 entries
- Dave Rutan - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 159 entries
- littlecope - 152 entries
- RaggedKerf - 145 entries
- Blake - 144 entries
- scottb - 144 entries