More veneering. I actually have two veneer layers on the drawer fronts. This is not by design, rather by necessity. For various reasons the initial veneering was just not to the quality I wanted and there was some other visible damage. So the only option I could see was simply add another layer. But the question was how to do it? Many many chapters ago I showed how I veneered the inside and outside of the curved fronts using a combination of vacuum bags and clamps over a bending form ...
Before this project, I had never made anything other than pens on the lathe. I had some scrap pieces from an oak pallet and I decided to laminate them together and experiment. I didn’t know what it would be when I started. I had thought maybe do a little Christmas tree, but then it started looking like a candle holder, so I just went with that. I don’t have a chuck, so I just turned it between a spur center and the tail-stock. I can really see the value of having a chuck now...
I’m not really ready to share the final product yet, actually I’m not even close. Its just been a long process and Friday night culminated with great satisfaction, check my personal blog to see the progress and check back often to see if I have made any progress. http://bradswoodworking.blogspot.com/
Not quite in the workshop... #9: Took the day off of woodworking, to replace stuff that takes up shop space...
It will be 4 weeks ago Sunday that I managed to find a root / stump under a clump of tall grass that I didn’t know was there until the blade of my 2001 vintage Craftsman 6HP high wheel 3 in 1 push mower ran into it at full speed and managed to give the mower a MEAN vibration… Now not having the hook up on small engine repairs, I hauled my mower, and my younger brother in laws mower over to my older brother in laws shop. Unfortunately since this is work for the family, it took pret...
I wanted to add some tapers to the lower portions of the legs. I made a sled to cut the tapers. I know there are adjustable jigs out there. I didn’t have time to research it fully. If I need the same jig later I may have to readjust things. I cut a test piece. All looks good. Here is the first full size leg cut with the jig. Here is a dry fit view. View with taper and bow-tie. Looks like I intentionally placed the bow-tie there. Here is a dry fit of the upper corb...
Small spoon knifemaking the handle Simple handle for a small spoon knife.Some tools are both beautiful and functional when kept rough in finish.This spoon knife will have a sideways twist when in use so a strong hold will be useful so my hand will not get tired, also I thought the blade and the handle should have the same grade of finish, so I decided to use some beautiful wood, but to keep it simple and rough. Hand forged blade, welded on to a rod. Made it since I needed a small rad...
Well, got the armrests done.. The square part didn’t ake all that long to chop out. The round hole? Forstner bit. So, when the armrest settles down over the tenon on the top of the front post, the post will get “housed” in the round hole….more places to add glue. I also chopped a mortise in each of the rear posts. Armrest would then slip into that mortise, and onto the tenon. I drilled a through hole through that rear post, in the center of the mor...
I’m just getting started and setting up a woodworking shop in my one car garage. We plan on making our own kitchen cabinets, furniture and various construction projects. The Harbor Freight trailer looks simple to assemble, but gotchas await at every step. I started with no power tools, and I still don’t have a workbench, and this thing took up all the space while being assembled. The catch is that you need tools, wood, a workbench and space to properly assemble the trailer, but...
Well I figured I better give a quick update. Our plan forward is to get rid of everything that will not stay. Guess I’ve been a bit of a pack rat over the last few years and it is time to give it up. My utility trailer is loaded for the second time and will hit the landfill at 8 tomorrow morning. We have a lot of recycle piles there so please don’t think we aren’t doing that because we are. I’m even getting rid of the old tools I don’t use anymor...
I’ve been busy the past several weeks since I finished the cane, just working on miscellaneous fun things. My daughter is refinishing an old dresser she rescued from the trash and I had to replace a couple of missing drawers. So I got to figure out how to use the dovetail jig someone gave me (it makes a big difference if you use the correct size bushing!). I used my table saw a lot, so I decided to make a Gripperz style push-block that turned out well. That, combined with some diffe...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1777 entries
- dbhost - 428 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 250 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- robscastle - 220 entries
- Dave Rutan - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 192 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 180 entries
- bandit571 - 173 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries