This is the first piece that I would like to build for a complete remodel of our front porch. My wife suggested we add a ramp because our parents are getting older so it could be a nice addition for helping them get in/out of our home. We don’t have a lot of steps, but it can still be a pain, especially if using a wheelchair. The current wood is in very bad shape. The way the posts made, they are very hard to get painted, any water that gets in can wick right up the center of ...
Yesterday I cut the side verticals of both the left and right cabinets. I then matched them up as to what sides I wanted for the inside and outside of each cabinet and routed 1/4×3/8 rabbits on each piece for the backs. Then I cut all of the dividers and shelves to width and length. Since I am making some alterations to the plans to accommodate my antique doors I wanted to see how things were going to look. These cabinets are too narrow to use a double door and too wide for jus...
Well they came! Sears item 22219 Wide Table Leg Kit for Craftsman model 22811 table saws. Now to refresh the memory of those that don’t recall, the 22811 was a Ryobi BT3000 table saw, with a Craftsman label on the front, and a different hand wheel. The leg kit is a functional match for the no longer available Ryobi accessory for my BT3100. I do say functional as the leg kit is NOT a cosmetic match, as the BT3100 stand legs splay instead of take a trip straight down, and the paint ...
Another weekend gone and not much to show for it. Helped a friend make a couple of benches for the table I did some detail routing on a week or so back. Still working on planeing that old salvaged lumber, I think I’ve pretty well got as much usable wood out of it as I can. Working on a small weather station now just a weekend project, applying the polystain over the next couple of days. I downloaded sketch-up from google (the free version) and installed it. It looks to be kind of a comp...
I finally got the pictures uploaded to photobucket, so here goes: The legs showing the biscuits, just before glue up. Here I am leveling the two MDF pieces on saw horses prior to glue up. Shims between the saw horses and MDF at appropriate points brought the low points up to make a dead flat surface, at least according to my cheap aluminum extrusion straight edge! (I just noticed that the shadows from the flash make it look like there is a gap at the right end of the straight ed...
After thoroughly sealing the bottom and sides of the torsion box with a quart of polyurethane, it was time to surface the top flat. When I placed my 4 ft level on the bottom, it appeared to be flat to within < 1/64”. But for some reason, it appeared the top top had a slightly larger crown along it’s length, maybe 1/32” or so. So I lowered the bit to the surface, and started cutting just enough to not miss any spots. At first I was getting what appeared to be a very rough ...
There’s a new poll available on the Little Good Pieces blog – “Marking Gauges”. How many do you have? Take the poll and let us know! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/poll-marking-gauges/
This is a bike I’m making for my daughter, it still lacks the finishing touches, like final paint coat, and the lacquer. The seat and the wheels we bought, everything else is water resistant plywood, screws and birch wood. The body of the bike can be flipped up side down to achieve greater seat height. Following more pictures…
As I have delved more and more into hand-tool woodworking I have discovered that I get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of tool restoration. I’ve restored planes, saws, drawknives, spokeshaves and enjoyed every one. None of my tools are really collector grade though – I restore tools to actively use them. A while back I decided to start expanding my saw collection. When I made the transition to hand-tool work, I bought four saws from Traditional Woodworker: a rip pane...
Some time ago I bought a SB #3 off ebay. pretty fair shape but could never get it to take thin shavings. I finally figured out that the chip breaker was too long for the plane. May have been switched or just flattened out wit use(?). A little metal work to shorthen it and regrind the fit between the chip breaker and the blade and I’m getting .002 shavings. The blade is a bit dull and not perfectly square so a little bade work should get me under .001. Still, as is, a lot b...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries
- bandit571 - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 180 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries