Wood Workin’ Character ....and so here we arrive at this morning of a new day, just as I also hope that none of us are in mourning this morning…. ”What is my new day all about, what is your new day all about and how does this new day morning, contribute to the spirit of wood, that begs to be heard in the creation of ‘wood art’, by the hands of the woodworking community?” Wow….and that one question, (or one of many questions within a question)...
This tutorial is for setting up a molder head and creating molding on a Shopsmith Mark V, Model 520. Obviously, much of the information here can be “translated” to a different model Shopsmith or even to a stand-alone table saw. When done properly, with proper setup and appropriate safety precautions, using a molder head on a table saw is perfectly safe and produces beautiful molding. I couldn’t even begin to guess how much molding I’ve created for window frames, picture frames, case moldings,...
I still have some work to do on the board – but thought I’d share what it looks like in relation to the SU project. Here’s the SU model And here is the reality. I still need to round over the edges and put on a good finish. Right now I just used a little mineral spirits to clean it up a bit. I’m getting closer to actually being able to post a project in the projects section of the site! thanks for looking.
When going through marathon training (I ran three in 2001 and hope to run another in December of this year), one thing that you should always incorporate is cross-training. Typically one day a week, do something other than running to perhaps develop supporting muscle groups, or at least to give your body a little variety. While I’m not too sure how much it will “develop supporting muscle groups” for my woodworking, I have picked up a new hobby. Thanks to a birthday presen...
I was at a blogsite http://villagecarpenter.blogspot.com/ and followed a link to some archived video. I spent the better part of a day watching and marveling over these glimpse into the past. I think it is the fact that these were utilitarian items made for everyday use and although some artistry was involved most important was that the piece function. These craftsmen developed the skills to economically produce a no frill product. If you can take the time to watch you will notice that there...
Well, after finishing my downdraft table (see my blog, Revamping and Updating My Old Shop), and making my dutiful post about it here, I started to clean up the shop. So moving stuff back where it belonged, the two-bit (pun intended) router table went up high on a shelf, moved off a generic rolling stand that I use for all kinds of stuff, and then I looked about for a place to put the downdraft table. (This shop desparately needs wall space and, it will take cabinets and big time organization ...
I keep telling myself that I’m not a collector…that I’m not on the slippery slope…and as long as I use them (it shouldn’t really matter if I have more than I actually need) I’m still ok-no intervention required. That said, I thought talk a bit about a couple of of the best hand planes out there for a relatively small amount of $$$. I’m referring to Keen-Kutters “K” series (Not the KK series, they are not the same) The K series (th...
Progress! After cutting the modling on the jig (which worked really well, by the way), some coping saw skill building and some creative Dremel-ing, the end of the first 12’ piece was complete: The first piece destined for the wall was one of the 14’ pieces, so I cut that square on both ends. Patty then painted them with the primer and pain we selected, Benjamin Moore Navajo White in Semi-Gloss (see modification, below). We left the 12’ piece in its original 14...
this is what the table looks like un-taped. I also added the inlay which I think ties it into the rest of the house really well. I have to say, there is something about the balance between modern and the traditional. This is what it looks like from above. So what I did to the sink was spray it with satin nickle paint and then clear gloss. It gives an interesting look when it is finished, I think. I like it. I encountered a minor problem with the doors upstairs. The epoxy I po...
Continuing my progress I decided that the box joint, per the plan, was the way to go. Instead of 5 drawers I did four. I had all 5 cut, but figured one extra big drawer would be more useful than 3 smaller, so I used the biscuit joiner to combine one of the two big ones with one of the small. It saved me from buying more wood and gave me more practice with the joiner. I checked around for plans for a box joint jig and decided that the one from Shopnotes.com (PlansNow) was the better of the ...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 200 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 184 entries
- HappyHowie - 172 entries
- clieb91 - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- littlecope - 154 entries
- andyboy - 151 entries