Today I flush cut, sanded and chamfered the boxes, I also cut the drawer fronts out. It’s starting to look like something now. Will probably put some aniline dye on tomorrow and maybe make some drawers, There are eight so it will be somewhat tedious. My garage is getting pretty tight now, the pantry will probably be out of there soon though didn’t do a blog on it but will probably post it in completed projects pretty soon, I have to cut some granite and then I can install it. ...
It’s been quite some time since I worked on the vanity mirror but with my wife’s insistnace I finished it up this week and it is hung on the bathroom wall finally. I finished it with an oil based poly that I hand rubbed on finished with past wax. The finish came out very nice and the true test of success is that my wife has been bragging to her friends that I made it.
Here is how I clamp up my boxes. I use blue painters tape. Line up your stock, I use a straight edge to keep everything flush. The edges should be touching but not overlapping. Give the tape a little stretch and press onto the stock. Don’t tape the ends yet. Then flip the unit over Apply your favorite stickum. I use Titebond and like to pre-glue. That is, I apply a very thin coat to all mating surfaces. Then turn around and apply another coat. End grain soaks the glue up p...
I have to admit I was more than ready to accept my losses on the walnut bass that inspired this blog. My last post was a public recording of my first failure as a bass luthier. There has been a change in events that orchestrated by a luthier from Arizona named Brian Forbes. Brian has a website for his own work which can be found at sixgunguitars.com. He explained that my bass wasn’t meant to be a clock, and provided me with several different methods to correct my mistakes. So now the b...
Hello fellows,one more time I would like to show you how brazilian woodworkers has to invent ways to make services better and fast.I decide to share because in Brazil MDF furniture became very popular and the PVC band is part of the job for cover edges.I don’t know how popular MDF is in USA or Europe but if help one person will berewarding. In Brazil no pre glued band can be found at stores.We can order from USA or Europe.But the prices for shipping are not very friendly. At thi...
A lot of folks use electrolysis for rust removal, which works great and if you are going to do a lot of rust removal, I recommend it. I don’t do a lot of it, and find Evapo-Rust works spectacularly to clean up even pitted parts. The product is reusable, so a gallon jug lasts quite a while. I have some different sized plastic containers depending on the size of parts, and completely submerge the parts. I cover the container to limit evaporation (Saran Wrap works great if you don’t have a lid)....
after machining the rail its time to install in the bench i use 5/16 counter sink screw to secure the the rail to the woodand i drill the wood 1/4 size and tap it for the same thread.having a drill press makes drill easy and helper more pics on the rail to come.installing rail is pretty much self explanatory not much fun here.
Anisotropic is Wood ....stilled by the beauty of this moment, i am increased in size by my understanding of wood, by the elements of being anisotropic along the grain lines of direction of movement, there yet remains the reciprocally of perpendicular axis…. —-these are they that seek to overtake me, along my path of waundering dimensions, caused in part by my make up of being a cellular fiber individual, who according to my growth rings which also rotate with respect to mois...
(Be warned! this pre-amble is a bit long..there are reall pics of the project at the link below) I am aware of a number of furniture makers that send out periodic newsletters to their clients, friends, and other furniture makers. I do also. A few folk on my list will no doubt recognize this from a recent newsletter. But I’m actually building a piece so it seemed like fun to share the progress…....here goes…... A couple of months ago I was reading a AJ Hammler’s ...
I debated whether I should put this entry here or over at HomeRefurbers, but that site really hasn’t taken off yet, and the process of coming up with our kitchen cabinets is feeling a whole lot more like woodworking than it is home improvement. Although an upgrade from the 1 person 1947 kitchen will certainly be an improvement. My arm was good enough this weekend to play in the shop again. My main project was to mock up a prototype to some lightweight appliance lift ideas I̵...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 217 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 176 entries
- bandit571 - 171 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- andyboy - 148 entries