[Legebla ankaŭ en Esperanto] My daughter asked for another shelf in her room. Here’s how I made it. [Below] I had an old pine board which had previously been employed in a bookshelf at our church. I planed it both sides to remove the dark stain and correct a slight cupping. (I wish I had photographed that as a tip. Basically you support the concavity with a strip of wood, then plane it off.) I ripped the board down on the table saw and cut out the length of shelf I needed. You c...
Art-Full I Am ....and so while sitting here my mind starts to range, as a reaper of the forest glens of wood’s beholden furnishing, till in the light of breaking dawn’s phalanx, i am strewed about with hopes of reaching a sheen-full burnishing…. This place of where I work and live, is but the start of one of many projected projects on my ‘to do’ list of what shall yet be! ....the making of lists in my mind, is like the way of also drawing a projected detai...
I’m starting to prepare for my first “solo” project. I did some woodworking in junior high, and last spring I took a woodworking class where we made a mantle clock. I don’t remember much from the junior high class, and in my mantle clock class a lot of the tool setup was taken care of. I expect this project will be quite the learning experience. The first item in things I haven’t had to do before is find a plan. I’m looking to build something my wife can...
Well, the base is assembled. I will try to get some pics up to compare to the plans but it is real close. I trimmed up the tenons with a big honkin’ chisel that I use as a slick. Makes quick work of it. Grabbed a persuader (5 lb sledge) and a leftover block trimmed off the legs and discussed the relative merits of the shoulders of the tenons seating against the legs. Everything sits nice and solid now. The only construction I have left to do is to pin the tenons and glue on the pad ...
Today I flush cut, sanded and chamfered the boxes, I also cut the drawer fronts out. It’s starting to look like something now. Will probably put some aniline dye on tomorrow and maybe make some drawers, There are eight so it will be somewhat tedious. My garage is getting pretty tight now, the pantry will probably be out of there soon though didn’t do a blog on it but will probably post it in completed projects pretty soon, I have to cut some granite and then I can install it. ...
It’s been quite some time since I worked on the vanity mirror but with my wife’s insistnace I finished it up this week and it is hung on the bathroom wall finally. I finished it with an oil based poly that I hand rubbed on finished with past wax. The finish came out very nice and the true test of success is that my wife has been bragging to her friends that I made it.
Here is how I clamp up my boxes. I use blue painters tape. Line up your stock, I use a straight edge to keep everything flush. The edges should be touching but not overlapping. Give the tape a little stretch and press onto the stock. Don’t tape the ends yet. Then flip the unit over Apply your favorite stickum. I use Titebond and like to pre-glue. That is, I apply a very thin coat to all mating surfaces. Then turn around and apply another coat. End grain soaks the glue up p...
I have to admit I was more than ready to accept my losses on the walnut bass that inspired this blog. My last post was a public recording of my first failure as a bass luthier. There has been a change in events that orchestrated by a luthier from Arizona named Brian Forbes. Brian has a website for his own work which can be found at sixgunguitars.com. He explained that my bass wasn’t meant to be a clock, and provided me with several different methods to correct my mistakes. So now the b...
Hello fellows,one more time I would like to show you how brazilian woodworkers has to invent ways to make services better and fast.I decide to share because in Brazil MDF furniture became very popular and the PVC band is part of the job for cover edges.I don’t know how popular MDF is in USA or Europe but if help one person will berewarding. In Brazil no pre glued band can be found at stores.We can order from USA or Europe.But the prices for shipping are not very friendly. At thi...
A lot of folks use electrolysis for rust removal, which works great and if you are going to do a lot of rust removal, I recommend it. I don’t do a lot of it, and find Evapo-Rust works spectacularly to clean up even pitted parts. The product is reusable, so a gallon jug lasts quite a while. I have some different sized plastic containers depending on the size of parts, and completely submerge the parts. I cover the container to limit evaporation (Saran Wrap works great if you don’t have a lid)....
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 175 entries
- bandit571 - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- andyboy - 148 entries