I got the back on mom’s dresser. not that the dresser looks side ways, it just looks that because the way my dad turn the camera. Now I got to work on building the rest of the runners. I am loveing every day of this project. I got my poplar for the drawers but it will be awhile before I construction on the drawers.
This blog post is from my Cottage Workshop blog. to see my previous entries you can visit that site. I will try to upload to both sites in the future. I am about a quarter of the way into building a six drawer dresser for my youngest son, Ryan. I have decided to favor hand tools for most of the joinery for my own education as well as, hopefully, the education of anyone else interested in using hand tools. Enjoy! Moving onward, I come to yet another opportunity to connect with the Luddi...
So I got the windows done in the basement and rewarded myself by installing my new fence upgrade. I got the 36” Redline fence from Dave and got it installed. A bit of tweaking and tinkering and I have a nice new fence. It’s very nice to be able to roll it up to a setting on the ruler and make cuts without all the measuring and waiting for the saw to spin up and down. I had set it up temporarily while I got used to it to finish the windows, but the first project I got done w...
I have been thinking over the last couple of months on a better stand for my lathe than my woodworkers bench, which I put the lathe on after I got it for Christmas of 2008. I have been missing the use of that bench from time to time, I like it because it has a couple of wood vises and is set up with bench dogs and it makes a pretty good surface for sanding projects. I came across a good solution in an old issue of wood magazine (Issue 182, March 2008). It didn’t look difficult to build ...
Well I have now finished the rehab of this old dovetail saw. After much sanding, I put some finish on it. I had planned on using tung oil, but changed my mind and applied 4 coats of laquer. Here is the handle after applying finish. Now for some pics with the handle installed. I think it turned out well. I will post as a finished project as well.
In my last post I explained that my garage only had one outlet in the whole 20×20 space. Today noknot and I fixed that by hooking up the wiring for the new garage “workshop wall”. I haven’t repaired the drywall yet, but these pictures let you see how we ran them. First we cut a strip of drywall out to run the horizontal wires: (click to enlarge) Then, we ran the wires down the central beam that runs across my garage. I know this looks kinda, uh, scary now bu...
Hey all. This year I’m building a small jewellery box for our friend’s little girls and my brother’s little girl. DW drafted up a set of plans and gave them to me. The plans call for the box to be made out of ½ wood. I had this piece of 2×12 spruce in the garage that was relatively clear of knots. Before I took it to the band saw to rip it into two ¾ inch boards I cut the board in half on the table saw to make it more manageable. I then ripped the board ...
The weather has been nice lately. Nice enough to work in the garage without a jacket. You’d think I’d be stepping up the conversion of my garage, but instead I’ve been letting myself get distracted, wanting to actually build things. So last weekend I made a crosscut sled, and tried my hand at a box joint jig. The crosscut sled was a success, the shop made runners seem to be working, and the accuracy is impressive, with less than half a millimeter off square over 36R...
I’ve been out side the shop doing some other things like yard work and little fall camping, plus I was waiting on the dowel plate from LN.That said this weekend I found some time this weekend. The over process I’m flowing is based on a few articles found online on the making of a try square. The first one was completely by hand and the other a bit more power tool friendly. I’m splitting the difference. ;-) I left off in the first post with the parts made and ready to be joined....
All was quiet yesterday and all went well. I spent the majority of the day working on cleaning up the files on my computer as well as backing things up. It was the grand finale of my organization stage of the game and I feel pretty good that not only is everything in order, but duplicated on an external drive. It has been a while since I have done that and while I back up the main PDF pattern files much more frequently, I don’t do the entire system very often. One thing of note tha...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1752 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 160 entries
- bandit571 - 160 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- andyboy - 146 entries