Well it has been awhile since I worked on my train but I am going full steam ahead. Sorry couldn’t resist. I have been working on makin the main driver wheels there are 8 of them.
I was able to make all of them from the center cutouts from the tires of my Scania truck I built.
Roughed out on the lathe.
After turning them to size I took them to the bandsaw and cut them off
After that I chucked them back in the lathe and finished the back to size
Next up was making the outer rims our of maple. I tried several ways to make them on the lathe but ended up making them with holesaws and cleaning up the edges on the lathe
First I had to establish the outside cut of the rim so that once i cut the center out I had a reference point of the holesaw
I made this jig to chuck them in the lathe to finish them to size.
Here is the before and after the rim is glued on and sized
Wheel jig I made to drill all the holes.
Half of the wheels done and the other half needing to be filed.
Pivot arms layed out. Made an original and them traced them all out.
A quick trip to the bandsaw.
After about 10 minutes of sanding.
A mockup of the wheels.
Next up will be the side rods and piston rods.