Well I got the main part of my new Lathe workbench finished and installed today. I still have to make all the drawers for it.
The cool thing about this project is I scored all the wood from work for free. The bench top is solid oak 1 1/2” thick from a desk that was being thrown out at my mom’s work. I had all the hardware in my stock. Only thing I had to buy was the 10 sets of drawer slides which were $50. I also got some small flourescent lights to mount under the cabinets from work for free.
Here is the wood. It was used in the garden center for hanging pots. I had to joint each face and run it throught the planer. I took all of them down to 1 1/4”.
Here it is all cleaned up.
Cabinet coming together. I used plans from Shopnotes #59.
The top was too wide and too short. So I ripped 5” off of one side, cut that in half and glued each piece onto each end after I cut the round off. Then I glued it all back together to make it the right length.
Here is the top on and it is bolted to the wall.
And the Lathe mounted.
Well thats it for now. This weekend on Saturday after I get off work I am driving out to meet a member from another forum how is giving me a Squirrel cage fan from a HVAC. It is a big one. I don’t know the CFM but I bet it is close to a 1,000. Going to make a Shopmade Air Cleaner with it. I have all the wood I need to build just have to buy two prefilters and a pocket filter for it.