So this is the latest update my “Lathe Corner” is what I am calling this.
This is how it looked before I started.
This is how it looks today.
I honestly did not get rid of anything. In my last post I showed what I did with the paint cans. And the bin full of wood on the right went to the new overhead storage rack I made. The planer and lathe switched places which made sense because I always rolled the planer to the same spot to use it. Duh why move it everytime.
All of the stuff on the shelf was tore down and worked into my wood storage areas.
The great thing about these cabinets is they didn’t cost me anything. They are made from 2 old bookcases that were melamine and 2 melamine cabinets I got free from work. I also had the hinges, door handles and screws in stock. The face frames which are made of pine came from some stock I had sitting on the lumber rack for a couple of years.
Here is the cabinet construction.
The face frames have a coat of danish oil on them and the doors primed and painted with latex blue. I used a roller and for some reason this paint comes out with a hammered finish.
Next up is a workbench for the lathe to go on that will have 10 drawers. Also a smaller workbench to sit on the step right next to the lathe that will also have drawers. I have to make this bench skinnier so there is good access to the door.
Here is a bunch of wood I also got from work from some display cases that held wine. They are 1×8’s that are 48” and 30”. Plus the backs were 1/4” plywood 48” x 30”.
I also got a 3 tiered display that was for cheese that yielded three sheets of plywood 36” x 36” some smaller pieces and some more 1×4’s.
I only have to buy 5 2×10x8’ to have all the lumber to build both workbenches.
My dad is also giving me a solid oak desk top that is 1 1/2” thick and 30”x 72” that will be the top for the workbench. I love recycling wood.
Well thanks for looking until next time.