Plane Restoration #8: Number 2 No. 4 is Done!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bit101 posted 04-14-2014 10:58 PM 1114 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Clean Up and Comparison Part 8 of Plane Restoration series Part 9: Before and After »

Well that went pretty well. First I’ll just let the plane do the talking…

Flattened and polished the back for the iron. I’m using the old sandpaper method. Then I tried to establish a new 30 degree bevel on the front. But as I mentioned before, the previous bevel was 20 degrees at the absolute max. And was way out of square. It would have taken forever on sandpaper. So I took it to the grinder and got a good solid and straight bevel. This picture says a lot:

Even though I took probably close to 1/16 off the end in order to straighten it and clean it up, and there’s a nice sized hollow bevel in there now, you can still see quite a bit of the old bevel there on the far right. I didn’t see much reason to keep grinding to get rid of that. I figure I’ll eventually get to it after another grind or two in the future.

I had to do a bit of work to get the chip breaker flat and square and seated solidly on the blade, but that went pretty well. Then onto the sole.

It’s not perfect. There’s actually a bit of very shallow pitting there. But it’s nice and shiny and smooth to the touch. I could keep going I guess, but I think that’s good enough for now. It’s taking some nice shavings and feels pretty good to use.

So, another one done. I’m getting pretty good at this. Think I’ll try for a No. 7 next!

1 comment so far

View cyclops4069's profile


66 posts in 1601 days

#1 posted 04-14-2014 11:13 PM

nice work…...!!

-- regards, cyclops4069

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics