So I started out cleaning up stuff some more with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The sides of the body cleaned up really nicely, as did the chip breaker. It’s looking beautiful. But then I tried to takes some of that gunk off the blade.
Once I got it cleaned up some more and took a closer look, the back of the blade is pretty badly pitted as you can see here:
It’s back from the cutting edge, but I’m going to need to grind that edge down to get it straight. I’ll have to see how that goes. If I can keep some solid edge there in front of the chip breaker, I might be ok at least for one grinding. If the grinding reaches the pits, I guess it’s new blade time.