Well, I’ve been wanting to try and get into more hand tools. A plane is a good start. After watching Rob Cosman’s Plane Revival and some of Frank Klausz’s stuff, I picked up an old Stanley #4 on eBay for $20. It arrived today.
Overall, I think it’s in pretty good shape. Some rust on the sides and bottom, but no serious pitting.
So, I took it all apart. The frog, inner body and lever cap are almost pristine. Just needed a little wiping down. Everything turns and moves smoothly.
The blade and chip breaker look pretty rough though.
Pretty rusty and gunked up. Sprayed them with some WD40 and scrubbed them up with some steel wool just to get an assessment of how much work needed to be done.
Even with that little bit of scrubbing, they cleaned up pretty well.
The blade is going to need some grinding, but just because it’s way out of square
But the edge shows no serious chunks missing.
Lots of gunk still on the back of the blade, but I’ll be flattening that anyway.
So, we’re off to the races. First step will be to flatten the bottom and clean up the sides with some wet/dry sandpaper and a flat surface.
I’ve got a bench grinder on the way in a few days, so I’ll see if I can straighten out that blade.
Then I need to get a hold of some decent stones. I might go with the “scary sharp” sandpaper method to start with, depending on the immediate budget.
Finally, I’ll need to learn how to used the durned thing!