So my 3 sheets of veneer arrive and I open them to inspect them. I opted to use 2 ply 4×8 sheets to save time vs. laying up my own veneer. Out of the 3 sheets I rejected two, one walnut sheet which was supposed to be flat cut and the maple sheet which I paid a premium for to have wider leaves. The walnut piece didn’t have any cathedraling in it at all and was made up entirely of the quartered portion of a flat cut piece of veneer. The supplier worked with me to get me replacement sheets ASAP. Honestly Joe at Veneer Supplies has to have some of the greatest customer service I have ever encountered. He totally gets it. I decide to keep one of the walnut sheets and use it for the inside of the storage case. I chalk out the sheet and cut it into pieces.
I veneer one side of each panel and clamp them up. I stack them on top of each other separating them with wax paper. I use one of the slab legs for added weight. The 75lbs comes in handy.
My replacement veneer arrives a few days later and I am able to veneer the other side of the panels that will make up the case. I also veneer the slab legs. I then attach 1/4” thick maple solids to each end of the slabs encasing them entirely in maple. I oversize the solid maple and then use my block plane to bring the edges flush with the veneer. I then use a 1/8” round over bit to soften the edges.
I then drill for the vertical dog holes in the side of the right leg.
The slab legs receive two coat of whip on poly. I will follow up with a few more coat once the base is assembled.
I next turn my attention to the construction of the case. With both sides of the top, bottom, back and fronts veneered I drill the sides for the 3/8” x 2 1/2” lag screws that will attach the case to the legs. The sides of the case are unfinished as they will not be seen. I recess the washer to be flush with the side of the case and mark the center lines for the drawer slides.
I then use my pocket hole jig and drill for the sides of the case.
I also rabbet the back of the sides, bottom, and top to accept the 3/4” back panel.
I glue up the case and add the 1/4” solid edge to the front side using blue tape as clamps. I miter the corners. Once dried I flush the edge to the case using a flush trim bit on my router and soften the top and bottom edge.
everything gets sanded and then the case receives two coats of tung oil to bring out the grain of the walnut.
Now for the fun part, assembling the base. To aid in the assembly I make a quick riser out of mdf to set the case on. I level the glides and then attach the case with 4 lag screws into each slab. I remove the riser and test for any lateral movement. Sure enough this thing is solid!!!
I couldn’t resist seeing what it looked like with the top on (obviously without the apron yet). It is starting to come together. Next up the top.
-- Brian, Folsom, CA http://www.brianfullerdesigns.com