Here is the first of two new projects I am currently working on. This is a commision that I received for a floor lamp. After several revisions here is what we finally settled on. FritzM of LJ made the suggestion of eliminating a base detail I had and having the the uprights flare out to form a tripod and the client loved that idea. Thanks FritzM!
I gave my client a short list of woods that I could build this out of and he left it up to me so I selected walnut.
Here is a shot of the piece of 8/4×108” x 10” that I picked out. I ended up cutting it down to 36” and 72” so that I wouldn’t be fighting with it in my small shop. I would have struggled trying to pass 108” stock through my jointer, table saw, planer and band saw.
I start by building the mdf bending forms. This time I spend the extra $2 and get a full sheet of light weight mdf. MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD! I build two forms, one for the main bow and one for the legs. These were much easier then the forms that I did for my tea cart. I use pocket holes to connect the sections of the forms together
This time I just spray mount the paper template directly onto the mdf. I cut these templates out on my band saw and finish them up on my new ridgid oscilating sander.
I then set up to cut my own veneer on my bandsaw. I set up to resaw 1/8” thick veneer.
I mark my stock prior to cutting so I can keep the veneer in order
Now I am ready to start the glue up
Using Better Bond Ultra-CAT veneer glue I go to work
Here is the bow lamination just after I took it out of the form. I used wax paper to create two halves during the glue up. I will router out a channel in the middle to accept 3/8 OD copper pipe which I will run wire through (David Marks did a similar lamp). I take my 1950’s era belt sander to it to clean it up a bit before I proceed. More to come.