So here is a quick update of where I am at. I have been busy building the upper and lower tray as well as figuring out the wheel connection.
here are the two tray bottoms veneered
I then biscuit joint the sides to the bottom. I place two sides in the vise at a time to create a more stable surface.
Here is the lower tray assembled
I then turn my attention back to the wheel assembly. After playing around with a few designs and consulting a friend I decide to go this route. Here is the assembly dry fitted. Next step will be to cut a curve on the stretcher to lighten the mass. You can see the mdf template that I will use in the background. Note in the photo I have left the 5/8 dowel long until I do the actual glue up. You can see the bearings I am using to give the wheels a very smooth ride. I made the wood washers from 1/2” stock using my drill press. I cut the circle using a 2-1/4” hole saw and then use a forstner bit to drill out the hole. Over engineered perhaps but I want this thing to be solid under the weight.
And here is the wheel assembly with the lower tray to give you an idea of what this starts to look like. The assembly is being temporarily supported in the back.
and from another angle
I am now more then half way through my hours at this point having spent about 25 hours to date (not including the time I spend scratching my head. I am adopting the motto slow and steady wins the race.
-- Brian, Folsom, CA http://www.brianfullerdesigns.com