LumberJocks

Aalto Inspired Tea Cart #4: Fixing a routing mess up.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by bfd posted 2184 days ago 1034 reads 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Refining the laminations and underwater basket weaving Part 4 of Aalto Inspired Tea Cart series Part 5: Making progress ... I think »

So seeing how woodworking is largely based on problem solving I tought I would post this to show you a recent problem that I had to solve. When I was routing the edge of one of my bent laminations I accidently nicked the sides leaving a nasty gouge. My heart sank thinking how much time and money I have invested in these laminations so far. Knowing that if I replace one lamination I would have to replace both since that they are matched from the same flitch of veneer and I would seriously eat into my profits. (the veneer wood costs $175 to replace). I needed to come up with a way to try and fix this. After looking for a solution I found it in one of my woodworking books. Taunton’s Complete illsutrated Guide to Working with Wood by Andy Rae. had the answer to my problem. Create a patch. So that is what I set out to do.

>

Having saved my cut offs from my lamination the first thing I did was to use a 1/2” plug cuttiing bit to drill out the plug. I then used a 1/2” forstner bit to drill out about a 1/4” deep hole in the lamination. notice I didn’t cut an entire circle I then glued in my plug and let it dry.

>

After it dried I trimmed the plug with my flush cut saw.

>

And then hit it with some sand paper. Almost as good as new.

>

>

Now back to the rest of the project!



8 comments so far

View Woodhacker's profile

Woodhacker

1139 posts in 2310 days


#1 posted 2184 days ago

Great save BFD. Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to remember this one.

-- Martin, Kansas

View FritzM's profile

FritzM

106 posts in 2399 days


#2 posted 2184 days ago

Nice fix man! I tend to feel that repairs can sometimes give a piece that might otherwise appear “machine” made a more handmade quality. but I bet this one will probably go unnoticed. Great job. On another note, it’s crazy to see the close-up photos of your laminations….. man they look like a solid piece lumber. very cool.

-- Fritz Oakland, Ca http://www.muegenburg.com (dedicated to my other hobby)

View Betsy's profile

Betsy

2913 posts in 2483 days


#3 posted 2184 days ago

Like they say, we don’t make mistakes—- we make deviations or variations.

Nice fix!

-- Like a bad penny, I keep coming back!

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2290 days


#4 posted 2184 days ago

Nice fix!

Thanks for the post

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

View bfd's profile

bfd

502 posts in 2394 days


#5 posted 2184 days ago

Hi Fritz,
I too was very surprised at how 25 pieces of veneer look almost like a solid piece of lumber. I think it was because of the glue I used. I mixed it with a lightener so the glue was almost a perfect match to the ash veneer. I also kept the flitch of veneer in order so it is in sequence which helped as well. I was prepared for it to look like Aalto’s laminated ply where you can see each layer.

Betsy and Jarrod my heart stops at least once on every project I do …oh I mean I like to build deviations or variations into every project. Thanks again.

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

2583 posts in 2299 days


#6 posted 2184 days ago

Brian,

The lamination and repair look great. Will you show us how you finish it also? I recently did a similar repair (on solid oak, not lamination). I was very careful with choosing grain that looked identical. BUT . . . when I stained it, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I’m not certain what I did wrong. I thought the sanding was consistent, but it really showed—more stain soaked in around the edge of the plug. Is there something that needs to be done to keep that from happening? I didn’t have any book to consult for advice. I was able to rescue it by cutting off the edge and gluing on an entire strip, but I figured that I would try the plug idea first.

Thanks for your post.

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

885 posts in 2200 days


#7 posted 2181 days ago

lightweightlady-

I’ve had similar experiences with patches like this. You need to seal the patch first to keep stain from seeping into the end grain exposed. I have used polyurethane to seal the plug and then sanded down to bare wood again before staining. The poly tends to seal the join between plug and original. If the fit is not real tight, though, you can end up with an unstained border around the patch that highlights the patch.

Others have suggested to me using sanding sealer but I don’t like sanding sealer. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but I always seem to get uneven staining when I use it.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View bfd's profile

bfd

502 posts in 2394 days


#8 posted 2181 days ago

Lightweightladyleftie,

Thanks for the comments. I am actually not going to use any type of stain so hopefully I will not experience the same thing. I will just be doing a clear coat finish so as to highlight the light beautiful color of the figured ash. I did test the patch with some denatured alcohol to simulate what it would look like with finish on it and it is very minute.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase