The first order of business was to start on something simple for this project…Cutting the wheels. Since the client wanted painted wheels I decided to do them out of MDF since it will be stable and paint out very well. Using my homemade circle jig I set the jig to cut a 14”DIA circle. Taking a light 1st pass I go down to about 1/4”. I then took my jig saw and followed just inside the outer edge of my router cut to remove the bulk of the material. I then followed up with my router again to trim up the rest of the stock to arrive at a perfect circle. Step 1 done!
Now It gets interesting.
I decided to take the CAD drawing that I had of the tea cart and print the frame shape out full scale. Doing this on my home printer meant that I needed to print this on 8.5×11 size paper so I created a 6”x6” grid over the shape and printed 24 pages. I then connected my grid together to create my paper template.
I now turn my sights to building the bending form. This takes almost 2 full 4×8 sheets of MDF. The form requires 5 layers of 3/4 mdf so I have a lot of cutting and routing ahead of me. I used good old graphite on the back of the paper template and traced over my lines to transfer the shape onto my top piece of mdf which would become my permanent template. I cut the mdf out accounting for the thickness of the lamination (I needed 5/8”) and filed and sanded until I was happy with the shape. I then cut the remaining 4 layers one at a time clamping each piece to my new MDF template and then used my router and flush trim bit. Once I had all 5 layers for both male and female forms I glued and nailed them up. That female section of the form is HEAVY.
Since this was my first time doing bent lamination I decide to do a test run to iron out any glitches that I know I will encounter. I am using QTR SAWN ASH WITH A LIGHT FIGURE and I decided due to the complex curve I needed to do this lamination out of veneer. Here are a few shots of the stock that I purchased from TheVeneerStore.COM.
Each lamination consists of 25 layers! I used Better Bond CAT PPR veneer glue for this. The results…Still in the rough stage but you get the idea.
I have a lot of hand work to get these to where I need them to be but that will be for another day.
-- Brian, Folsom, CA http://www.brianfullerdesigns.com