John White's new-fangled workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by ben updated 01-24-2008 06:11 AM 4 parts 27065 reads 23 comments total

Part 1: rough cut framing lumber

12-07-2007 06:32 AM by ben | 6 comments »

The sketchup plans for the bench originally came to me from Jeff, and I modified the dimensions to make the final bench 8’ long x 28” deep x 34” tall (although I rough cut the leg pieces a bit longer, since I’m debating whether to bring up the height an inch or so). Finally getting started on this thing. All I have to show for it so far is a stack of rough cut SPF (can’t find Douglas Fir around here): The back table top will be made from glued up c...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Cuz I'm a blonde... yeah, yeah, ... yeah!

12-14-2007 08:22 AM by ben | 5 comments »

Put in another couple evenings this week. All of the SPF is width/thickness dimensioned, and most of it is length cut as well. Was assembling the legs tonight, and revisited my towhead youth with this manuever: Luckily it was easily recovered: Eventually, I finished assembling the legs, cutting and drilling the end stretcher and end pipe-holding pieces and cutting all of the 8 foot pieces. After I drill the pipe and screw holdes in the 8 footers, I can assemble everything to ...

Read this entry »

Part 3: everything but the pipes and tabletop is together

12-17-2007 05:58 AM by ben | 1 comment »

Here she be: I have the pipe already cut (just not in the picture), and ready to be installed. The top frame piece is not screwed in place yet, since I need the top before I can do so. At that time, the fixed vertical and horizontal pipe pieces will get put into place. Had my share of mistakes to make this take longer than it should. Lessons from this weekend: Draw out everything in sketchup. My cherry back benchtop will have to be 1-5/8” inches, because I tried t...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Everything but the trim?

01-24-2008 06:11 AM by ben | 11 comments »

Well, this baby has already been put to use. It’s actually been in this condition for 2 weeks, but I hadn’t gotten around to snapping the pics. It’s functionally done, although there are 4 small things I will be doing before calling it done: 1. Drill the speed-pin holes in the face-clamp bars (was planning to do it tonight, until I realized I don’t have a large enough bit for drilling metal). 2. Add a planing hook. That should take all of 15 minutes....

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics