The gorilla glue squeeze out was much easier to clean up that I expected but I could still kick myself for not applying masking tape before I saw the drips starting. It would have saved me a couple hours of work.
I’m really enjoying my time off from work and being able to spend my days in my shop instead of my office and I’m making some great progress. In the last few days I’ve accomplished the following:
1. Frames fully trimed and cleaned up. I just need to do the ebony plugs and they’ll be ready for finish.
Here it is with some mineral spirts so you can see what it’s going to look like once it’s finished. I’m still debating weather or not I should dye it like typical Greene and Green furniture because I generally much prefer clear finish over any kind of stain. I would love to hear other peoples opinions on this.
2. Drawers fully glued up and also ready for plugs and final sanding:
3. Spent several hours practicing making plugs. Since any screwups with the plugs will be very difficult to fix and since Gaboon Ebony is about $100 bd I decided it would be a good idea to practice with some Hickory on scrap wood until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Once I was comfortable I tried one with ebony on some scrap wood. I sprayed a little shellac on it to see what it would look like finished but I didn’t let it dry before taking this photo so it looks a bit splotchy. (I don’t plan to use Shellac for the real finish)
Tommorrow I’ll be making a trip over to my local Woodcraft store to pick up a few more small tools I need to do the smaller plugs and the splines on the top. Plus another trip to Crosscut hardwoods to pick up some lumber since I misscalculated and didn’t get enough to make the second top and the shelfs….
-- Don - I wood work if I could. Redmond WA.