For those of you who have never used a leg vise, they are amazingly useful animals to have in the shop. To those of you who have one, “way to go” ;)
To those of you who have one, and it happens to have benchcrafted hardware, let me commiserate with you just a bit. They are not really a difficult thing to put in, though I am a bit mechanically disinclined. They seem to be more on the tedious end of things and very persnickety. Kind of like putting a leash on a bumble-bee; be accurate or suffer the consequences.
So let me catch you up. I glued up two slabs of wood, a chunk of 8/4 walnut and 4/4 maple.
This part of the remodel turned out like the original picture. Many times I have had licence with things and they differed. The saw till being one example, but I was happy with how closely the chop resembles the drawing.
I popped the blank out of the clamps and took a look at how it will look in its’ new home ;)
Pleased, I drew out a center-line that would be routed out for the scissors.
I drilled out the thru hole for the screw.
I then went to the drill press to drill the hole that runs thru laterally which will get the steel pin that holds the scissors in place.
Confident I had an accurate beginning to the hole I finished it off with a long auger bit.
Using two sided duct tape I fastened the blank to the table-saw top and used the same tape to create runners that would limit the travel of the router so I just routed away what I needed.
The board wasn’t long enough to place a stop on the bottom of the channel so I used my fence clamps to hold a board in place and positioned the table-saw fence to the right distance. Worked well.
Makes a little mess.
Next I drew out the shape I wanted for the chop.
And cut it out.
To position the hardware I found it useful to use the drill bit that made the hole to center the plate.
I had purchased a large bunch of router bits from a company going out of business in Salem a few years back. In the mix was a 30 degree chamfer bit which was useful to put the angle I wanted on the outside. I used the same angle on the table-saw to chamfer the top of the chop.
About a half hour of persnickety-ness later I had it in place and I could set the pins for good. ;)
A little of my bench finish and Bazinga!
I have been in a big hurry to get this done and the inlay that goes in the front of the bench might have to wait. I was able to slow down enough to get a bunch of pictures for you all today, because I want you to get a lot of bang for your buck. Which reminds me, some of you are behind on your payments. :)
I am getting close to being finished with the tool cabinet video. It will hopefully go out within the week.
Thanks for reading and have fun woodworking!
-- Brian Noel