I know I said yesterday I got the last piece of the puzzle, then I get a package today. It was something I ordered two months ago, but Lie-Nielsen had trouble with a batch of bronze so they scrapped a line and had to remake them.
It is always fun to get their packages, I get to catch up on the haps of Portland, ME.
I got my new scratch beader and it looks nice in its’ new home. I will make a holder for it one of these days.
Always one tool away from success! No wonder I never have any folding cash in my pocket ;)
So today I got the side panels of the bench glued together. I was worried about having enough stock thickness in the legs for the leg vise hardware so I added a chunk in where it attaches. It doesn’t look too hot, but it will be behind the chop and make sure it holds up to plenty of torque.
I used hickory plugs and my mortiser to make square draw bore pegs which worked wonderfully. I offset the holes by about 1/32 and it all just sucked together. It didn’t need the clamps once they were in, but I kept them clamped get to get the extra umpf.
Tomorrow I will cut them off proud and chamfer the ends.
That done it was time for a mythbusters base episode. I hunted through the shop for some quarter-sawn walnut for the bases to the candlestick holders. Using quarter sawn helps to keep everything from moving too much so they will hold up over time. I will also run a screw up through the bottom to help hold them together and cover it with a “made in the usa” sticker ;)
I milled up the lumber and used a coffee cup my kid got at a mythbusters’ exhibit at the OMSI a few years back.
Then I cut them out and sanded them round.
and routed them with a decorative edge.
Then glued them to the candlestick holders.
-- Brian Noel