My legs have curves!!
I got all four legs turned today. The leg with the vise is a tricky one. I wanted it to still have the barley twist so I turned it and then routed out a chunk. I filled that routed out section with wood and then I will rout that out again to accommodate the leg vise hardware.
First I turn the legs round using my mill and a two inch flat bottom bit.
Then I swith over to the two inch barley twist bit.
The mill has a complex set of gears that can give different pitches and directions of twist.
For my twists I always like to have them apposing. I can’t stand it when I see a piece with twist parts all going the same direction.
The vise leg was a tricky one and I had to take my time so I didn’t chunk it out. I used a three inch long by 1/2” wide down-cut spiral bit to clean it out.
I then filled in the section routed out with lumber that will be again routed to house the leg vise hardware.
It might take a few days before I rout the leg and finish it off. I am not sure what I will tackle tomorrow, but there is plenty to do. I have a set of candle stick holders that need to get the same barley twist, so I will probably get them done and out-a here.
The carving department (A.K.A. my wife) turned out an awesome walnut snake head cane today.
I will take some final photos of it before it gets shipped out. If the clients like it they will end up ordering 20 of them. That will keep us busy for a while.
Take care everyone and thanks for reading.
Hey by the way, if anyone can find a picture of another workbench with ornate legs, I would love to see it.
-- Brian Noel