Hidie Ho there neighbors. Today I was able to get the rest of the wood for the top milled up and it is taking shape; all be it an unusual one with multiple levels. I just can’t do anything the easy way can I ?
About half way through the day I wondered about what I would use for the front. I wanted something showy obviously. I remembered I had a piece of Birdseye hidden away in the attic vault.
How’s this for a well traveled piece of wood; when I lived in West Virginia I took a trip to Hearn Hardwoods in Pennsylvania and bought a bunch of Birdseye and tiger maple for a client that wanted basically his whole house furnished in Leadville Colorado. When we moved to Oregon, I brought the leftovers here with me and I found the last piece today and it turned out to be perfect for the front of the bench.
I got everything squared and jointed ready to glue up. I have a little bit left to clean up, but it should be ready to glue up soon. I used one piece to make my dog board and ripped a thin piece off the edge and ran it over the dado set and glued it back together. I will run it over to the mortiser to make a sill for the dogs to rest on later. I then cut up a chunk of walnut for the split rail that will get sliced up and re-glued with openings for tools and notches to fit over the leg rails. All in all it was a good day and the bench has a good beginning.
I used a few boards that had already been jointed to sandwich the dog board in to keep it square.
Week Done! Time to chillax, have a nice weekend everyone.
Shhh. Lumber at slumber ;)
-- Brian Noel